Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Turnovers

Every once in a while I pick up a cookbook and realize the writer cooks just like I do.  I rarely follow a recipe - even the first time.  Substitutions and additions are the norm.  Regularly, recipes are just useful for ideas...  So,  it was when I read The Streamliner Diner Cookbook.  It's written by four women who own - yup, you guessed it, The Streamliner Diner.  I mentally marked about every other recipe as one I'd like to try.  The one that won the race was turnovers made with artichoke hearts.  I've made some pretty unsuccessful meals with pie crust arranged in ways that don't involve a pie plate, so I was a bit hesitant to try this.  But, it sounded SO good.  And, the turnovers were SO good.  I'm hoping they froze well since I put the leftovers in the freezer for lunches at work.  And, yes, I did make a major addition - mushrooms.  And, a couple of minor tweaks - the Mural of Flavor and Romano instead of Parmesan.



Artichoke Heart - Brie Turnovers

3 pie crusts (singles)
1/4 lb Brie cheese
1 8 1/2 oz can artichoke hearts, well drained
1 8 oz box sliced mushrooms
2 T grated Romano
1 c ricotta cheese
1 T capers
2 t Penzey's Mural of Flavor
1 egg
1 T water

Either make the pie crusts or take the refrigerated ones out to warm up a bit.  Saute the mushrooms in a bit of olive oil until they're very well done.  Chop them very finely.  Ditto the artichoke hearts and the brie.  Mix the brie, artichoke hearts, mushrooms, ricotta, capers and Mural of Flavor.  You'll want to make four turnovers out of each pie crust, so cut the crusts into - yup, fourths.  Put a couple of tablespoons of filling in the center of each and fold them over.  Crimp the edges with a fork then put the turnover on a baking sheet.  When you've got all the turnovers done, mix the egg and water and brush the tops with that.  Bake at 375 for 15 min. 

No comments: