Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Comfort Food at it's Finest!

I've always been amused by the dishes that families consider comfort food.  In some cases, it varies by region.  In others, it's across the USA.  This is a dish that I consider comfort food.  It has as many variations as a model of car has.  My wonderful friend Donna uses bread crumbs on top.  Another friend uses broccoli instead of green beans.  I could probably write 20 different recipes for this stuff.  Here's the story...  My mom's best bud, Lou, gave me a bridal shower way back when I got married the first time in 1976.  (Yes, I got it right the second time!)  Lou's NOT a cook.  Their freezer is full of frozen dinners - what we used to call tv dinners.  But, like most non-cooks, she has a couple of recipes she's mastered.  They're easy and they're wonderful.  This is one of them.  It's comfort food at the finest for me.  The night I had my Millie cat put down, this is all I wanted.  It's become one of Connie's favorite meals.  And, it's become one of my brother John's family's favorite meals.  I mistakenly referred to it as Curried Chicken Casserole when talking to my VERY picky niece Samantha.  Her nose curled up and she said, "WHAT???"   I said, "Chicken Green Bean Casserole."  Oh, she says, "That."  The fact it has curry in it and curry is an acquired taste, oh, well.  We always make enough for leftovers.  I wish I could say we make enough to freeze for another meal but that'd be wishful thinking. 




Chicken Green Bean Casserole (Curried Chicken Casserole to those who are not wimps)
1 chicken, stewed, meat picked off the bones
3 cans DelMonte Blue Lake green beans, drained
1 can low fat cream of chicken soup
1-2 tsp curry powder
3/4 c Hellman's mayonnaise
2-3 T lemon juice
10-20 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated (depending on how heart healthy you want to be)

Use an ovenproof casserole.  Mix the soup, curry, mayo and lemon juice. 



Layer the chicken, then the green beans, then the soup mixture. 

Top it all with the grated cheddar cheese.



Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes until bubbly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i just happened upon your blog. Love your great recipes.

Kate said...

Thank you!