Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Corn and Blueberries?

Every once in a while I read a recipe that really has me scratching my head.  How in the heck did they come up with that????  Sometimes, I'm intrigued enough to try it.  And, sometimes it's really good.  So it was with the corn and blueberry salad.  Clipped from some magazine and stacked in the huge pile of recipes to think about trying.  I'd bought blueberries intending to make muffins for the Social Security class on Saturday.  But, Friday evening was here and gone and no muffins.  So, what could I make?  While hunting in vain for the steak recipe I wanted to try, I ran across the corn and blueberry salad one.  What's the worst that could happen?  We'd hate it and it'd go down the diposal.  The deal was sealed because I'd bought some corn on the cob to have with my steak Friday evening but had never gotten around to fixing it.  And, because our first basket of the year from the CSA (community supported agriculture) had a couple of cucumbers.  So, now I had all of the ingredients on hand.  Turns out to be an inspired melding of flavors.  And, one that I'll make again and again.  Who would have thought... corn and blueberries?

Corn and Blueberry Salad
3 ears of corn, husked and cooked
1 c fresh blueberries, rinsed and drained
1 small cucumber, diced
1/4 c finely diced red onion
1 T dried jalapeno or 1 fresh jalapeno, seeded and minced

Dressing
2 T lime juice
2 T olive oil
1 t honey
1/2 t cumin

Toss the salad ingredients into a storage container. 





Mix the dressing ingredients then pour into the salad.  Toss it all together and refrigerate overnight. 


Serve chilled. 

No comments: