Search This Blog

Friday, June 25, 2010

Crabmeat

We used to have a wonderful fish market across the street.  Well, wonderful for Indianapolis.  Fresh is the lobsters that Salty Lou caught today and has on his porch on Cape Cod.  For us, flying the stuff in is as close to fresh as we're going to get.  But, I digress.  Crabmeat.  Canned in the grocery store.  Bleech!  Canned and refrigerated.   Ok.  So, the folks who owned the fish store had a falling out.  It closed and I mourned.  (Along with a LOT of other folks.)  And, I went hunting for crabmeat. My first stop was the folks who supplied the fish store.  I saved my last can and took it to the office and found them on the internet and plaintively begged.  Nope.  Too expensive to ship to Indy.  Ok, plan B.  Trader Joes.  Yup.  They've got the stuff and it's reasonably priced.  Now, they don't have a choice of different types of crabmeat.  This stuff is all claw.  But, it's still pretty darned good for the price. I've made a lot of crabcakes (Harry Carey crabcakes) and several other crabmeat dishes with the stuff.  So, when I saw this recipe, I was intrigued.  Sounded like a fun stovetop type dish.  I was pretty disappointed with the original version.  We found it blah and gummy.  Naturally, I took the leftovers (who has ever heard of leftover crabmeat anything??? - that's how much this needed help!) and kicked them up a notch.  Now, let me say, the blog from which I got the recipe usually has the best stuff around.  We must just have different taste in crab dip...




Stovetop Crab Dip
1 T olive oil
1 c finely minced onion
12 oz crabmeat
8 oz cream cheese, room temp
1/2 t worcestershire sauce
1 t lemon juice
1 t Old Bay seasoning
1/2 c Hellman's olive oil mayonnaise
1/3 c cream
1/2 c grated parmesan or romano

Combine the onion and the olive oil in a large saucepan and saute until the onion is translucent.  Add the other ingredients and stir until the mixture is bubbling. 



 Serve with crackers or bread cubes.  I added the Old Bay and cream to the original recipe.  You might also try sour cream instead of the cream. 

Adapted from Annies-eats, originally from White on Rice Couple

2 comments:

Chef Dennis Littley said...

crab dip can be tricky....and I think it all depends on taste.....I actually make mine warm and put it into a little bechemel seasoned with clam juice or crab base if I have any...have you tried sams club or one of those type stores for crab meat...I get great lobster tails and shrimp and sams

Kate said...

Great idea! One of my guest's comments was that it didn't taste "crabby" enough. The clam juice might help that a bunch. I'll take a look at Sam's. We're so spoiled by the great lobster tails we get on Cape Cod that we just don't buy them here in Indiana! But, I do buy almost all my shrimp at Sam's. Thank you :-)