Search This Blog

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Grilled Pastrami Sandwich


I read a recipe for a pastrami panini that got the creative juices going.  Trader Joe's sells a package of pastrami that's perfect for two dinner-sized sandwiches.  I make kicked up cole slaw with Jamaican Jerk seasoning, ketchup and mustard in addition to the normal suspects - mayo, sugar and vinegar.  Our cheese drawer is full of several kinds of cheese.  And, we almost always have a jar of sandwich slice dill pickles in the refrigerator.  Perfect for a quick, easy dinner.  We both gave this a five - out of five.  Neither of us would change a thing.  These sandwiches were quick, easy and SO good.  I'd made salads to go with them but the salads pretty much got ignored.  I'm ready to sit down and eat another of these NOW :-)



Grilled Pastrami Sandwich

8 oz pastrami
4 oz gruyere or swiss cheese, grated
1 bag cole slaw mix
1/3 c mayo
1 T cider vinegar
1 T sugar
1 T ketchup
2 t yellow mustard
1 T jamaican jerk seasoning
8 dill pickle sandwich slices
Thousand Island dressing
4 slices rye bread

Lightly toast the rye bread.  Mix the cole slaw mix, mayo, vinegar, ketchup, mustard and jerk seasoning to make the slaw. 




Assemble the sandwiches.  Smear one side of each slice of the toasted bread with Thousand Island Dressing.  Top with each with half of the grated cheese, then half of the pastrami.  Mound on about half a cup of the cole slaw on each sandwich. 



Finally top with the dill pickles. 



Top with another slice of bread.  Grill using a grill pan or griddle until the cheese is melted and the bread is nicely browned. 

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I've made a similar sandwich in the past with kimchi instead of cabbage! Yum!

Christo Gonzales said...

isa this your entry - let me know and I will include it

Christo Gonzales said...

send me an e mail and let me know - Whatu2@nyc.rr.com

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I am now craving a reuben!

SomethingDifferentForDinner said...

Looks delicious!! I'm your newest follower. Just got your friend request on Foodbuzz (chefmama11). Don't really know how that site works too much yet. Thanks, Much love,

Kelly @ http://www.somethingdifferentfordinner.blogspot.com

bunkycooks said...

Hi Kate,

I got your FB message and just sent you a friend request on Facebook. You can also email me at gwen@bunkycooks.com. Thanks!