Search This Blog

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Salads

Connie always tells me that my salads are my best dishes.  I think it's because I see a bowl of greens as a blank canvas.  It's a great way to use up leftover vegetables, fruits and sometimes meats.  It's a bit more challenging when one is at someone else's house...  We all rendevoused at my brother John's after the race.  Younger brother Ken had come up from Charlotte to go to the race with John and his son, Tom.  Needless to say, we all wanted to see Ken.  So, a cookout was in order.  I'd asked what we could bring and John had said just a bottle of wine.  I took a huge bag of lettuce from the garden with the intent to share it amongst the family.  When we got there, I found that a green salad would be a great addition to the meal.  Great, but I had nothing but lettuce.  What's something most folks tend to have in the house?  Apples.  Good start.  Apples go with what kind of cheese?  Cheddar.  Score.  How about some pecans?  Yup.  Olive oil and a good vinegar and some dijon mustard and garlic?  Score again. 

Tossed Salad with Apples
10 cups salad greens
2 Gala apples, cored and diced
5 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 c chopped pecans, toasted
1/2 c olive oil
1/4 c good vinegar (thyme or tarragon or good red wine)
1/4 t garlic powder
2 t dijon mustard

Clean and dry the greens and put them in a large salad bowl.  Mound the diced apples in the center.  Sprinkle the grated cheese around the edge.  Then, sprinkle the toasted pecans over everything.  Mix the dressing and toss it with the salad just before serving.

No comments: