Search This Blog

Monday, August 22, 2011

Whiskey Baked Beans



Indianapolis is frequently a test market for new grocery products.  That means all too often I find something wonderful and use the heck out of it and then poof, it's gone.  Another test that didn't work out.  Mushroom risotto in a bag was one of the more notable items.  When Bush's came out with their Grilling Beans, I thought here we go again.  A test product that I'll love and it'll go away.  This time it appears to be different.  This time, they're adding flavors to the lineup so it looks like they may stay around.  YAY!!

I had half a can of Bush's Bourbon and Brown Sugar Grilling Beans left.  They needed to be used.  Dinner was going to be bbq chicken so they'd be perfect with that.  Now comes the fun part.  How do I dress them up a little without ruining their already great flavor?  A little red onion sauteed in butter.  Half a shot of whiskey added in and reduced.  Finally, a bit of diced pancetta. 

What did we think?  This is the dish I liked best from our Sunday supper. For me, it just barely edged the others out. For Connie, the Crab Boil Potato Salad barely edged the others out.  You'll see the rest of the dinner recipes as the week progresses.  Actually, if I'd gotten some great shots of the Crab Boil Potato Salad during dinner, you'd have seen that today.  But, since I didn't that'll have to wait til tomorrow.  Just an fyi, since most people start with a whole can of baked beans, I've adjusted the recipe thusly. 

Whiskey Baked Beans

Ingredients:



1 can Bush's Bourbon and Brown Sugar Grilling Beans
2 T butter
1 medium red onion, very finely diced
1 shot whiskey
1/2 c diced pancetta

Directions:

Melt the butter in a medium saucepan.  (Yes, I know I used a skillet but that's what was handy.)  Add the onions and saute until they're softened. 




Pour in the whiskey and cook until the sauce has reduced by half. 



Add the pancetta and saute for about five minutes. 



Add the beans and cook until warmed through.








2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the fact that you were able to improve what already tasted great! The beans look fantastic. I want to see that crab boil potato salad.

Eliotseats said...

Great improvisation with whiskey and canned baked beans!