Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Mrs. Huber's Chicken Livers



For a lot of folks, chicken livers are a major EWWWW food.  Not for us.  We love them.  But, they're not exactly the best thing in the world for you - particularly after they're fried! - so we don't indulge very often. 

Connie requested my stuffed lamb chops.  The stuffing recipe calls for a couple of chicken livers.  I'd have most of a container of liver left over.  What a great excuse to try and make Mrs. Huber's Chicken Livers.

 A bit of history here.  There's a winery in Starlight, IN (a bit north of Louisville) named Huber Winery.  It's near Rosewind Farms which is the bed and breakfast we try to visit once or twice a year.  Also near those two is Huber Family Farm.  I believe the Hubers are cousins.  I was first introduced to the restaurant at the farm about 17 years ago.  They're famous for their pies.  But, for me, it's the fried chicken livers.  The best I've ever had.  I bought their cookbook for three recipes:  Mrs. Huber's slaw, apple butter and chicken livers.  The slaw is a regular around here now.  The apple butter, well, it's one of those recipes that takes a long time to make and I've just never found that elusive time!  Well now, as you know, our house has been a bit disordered with all the painting and commotion going on.  I couldn't find the cookbook.  I knew the recipe had flour (regular or self-rising???) beer and something red (cayenne pepper?)  Beyond that, no clue.  So, onto the internet.  Ads for the farm, then my post here on Mrs. Hubers slaw.  I called.  As is usual with the farm, they were wonderful.  The gal I talked to went out to the kitchen and came back with the ingredients. 

What did we think?  Connie thought these were just about as good as Mrs. Hubers.  I thought they were similar but not as good.  But, we both loved them!

Mrs. Huber's Chicken Livers

Ingredients:
chicken livers
beer (I used Fat Tire)
flour (not self-rising)
garlic powder
seasoned salt
canola oil

Directions:

Pour 1" of oil in a large skillet or dutch oven.  Mix flour, garlic powder and seasoned salt - all to taste. 



Pour the beer into a large bowl. 



When the oil is hot (a bit of the flour will sizzle and come right to the top,) dump the livers into the beer.  One at a time, dredge the livers in the flour mixture and put them into the hot oil. 



Fry on both sides.  When the coating is nice and brown and craggy, remove them from the oil and drain on paper towels. 

1 comment:

Megan @ Pip and Ebby said...

Can't say that I've ever tried fried chicken livers, but I'm always open to trying new things! I love that there's a history for these with you. That always makes food more fun!