Search This Blog

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Nikki's Beef Stroganoff



Growing up we had our fair share of meals made with Campbell's Soup.  Mom was a very good cook.  But Campbell's Soup frequently makes for a quicker meal.  And, that's important when you're working and still trying to get a good meal on the table for a family.  Some of my favorite dishes like Chicken Green Bean Casserole and Chicken Elegante have Cream of Chicken Soup in them.  But, this is the only one with tomato soup.  The original recipe came from a friend of Mom's by the name of Nikki, ergo the name of the dish. It's ultra quick and easy to make and is pretty darned good.  Best of all, it freezes beautifully.  All you have to do is cook some rice or noodles, heat up the sauce and fix a vegetable or salad for the side and you're in business.

Having a frozen dinner or two available was important this week. You see, since our house has been in total chaos since March we were anxious to finally get a room done.  And, since the painting is complete upstairs that meant that the little guest room could be completed.  Pictures hung on the wall et al.  Now, the other three rooms upstairs, not so much.  Soon, we'll have movers here to take a large file cabinet to the office and take an old desk to the garage where a charitable organization can pick it up.  Then, they're heading to the storage unit to clear it out.  I've had a bunch of our old furniture stored there since we bought this house five years ago.  Some of mine that didn't fit in the house and some of Connie's that's his ex's taste and is too formal for my taste.  And, some that we just plain couldn't use.  I thought one of his three kids or my niece or nephew would certainly want some of it.  But, to date, no takers.  And, I'm tired of paying for the storage unit.  So, it's all going elsewhere.  Whew.  Once all of that is done, I'll easily be able to put together two more rooms.  The sports guest room will be last.  I've got to make t-shirt pillows for the bed.  And, buy a bedspread.  Means I can finally get rid of the one with the gold and green and rose that I've disliked since day one.  But, it came with Connie and until I knew what I wanted to do in that room it didn't make sense to spend the money on an interim quilt.  Hopefully, by the middle of September, I'll have the upstairs put together.  I'd better be because by then, I'll be out of freezer meals!

Nikki's Beef Stroganoff

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
1 can Campbell's Tomato Soup
1 large onion, sliced
1 8 oz box mushrooms or a 4oz can of mushrooms
1 t Worcestershire sauce
1/4 t - 1/2 t garlic powder
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 c sour cream

Directions:

Brown and drain ground beef.  If you don't mind using multiple pots and pans, you can saute the onions and the mushrooms in two separate pans.  Otherwise, once the beef is done, wipe out the skillet, hit it with a good dose of cooking spray and saute your onions and mushrooms.  Once they're nice and softened and a bit brown, add in all the other ingredients except the sour cream.  Simmer the stroganoff for about 20 minutes.  Stir in the sour cream and serve over rice or noodles.  I love to serve roasted broccoli with it.

2 comments:

Eliotseats said...

This is the stroganoff we grew up with as well. I still pine for it. Thanks making me remember this dish. We thought it was pretty fancy. :)

Unknown said...

You're amazing. That's all I have to say. :)