Search This Blog

Friday, June 3, 2011

Stir-fried Snow Peas and Shitakes



I'm a klutz.  There is no other way to say it.  Klutz.  Back in the late 70's I worked at the Clinton-Rudisell branch of Lincoln National Bank in Fort Wayne, In.  We had an OSHA form where we had to list workplace injuries.  There were about 15 of us who worked in that branch.  I was the only one on the report and I was there THREE times.  Yup, three times. 

Today, I was all dressed up and ready to go.  Instead of working at home for a couple of hours like I normally do, I was headed directly to the office.  Until I hit something in the kitchen (probably my own foot...) and wound up on the floor with a sprained ankle and an aching right shoulder.  Now, my foot's on a box and my ankle is packed in ice.  Lovely.  Just call me Hoppy :-) 

So, today's post is a bit late.  I've finally reached the point that I can semi-hobble around with a cane.  The good news is that I've been able to work from home AND listen to FoodTV.  Rachael Ray made a killer fish dish with green beans that I'll make as soon as the green beans come on.  For now, though, we've got peas.  Mostly snow peas.  They are the best I've ever had.  Sweet, crunchy, wonderful snow peas.  

Once again, I'm going to stir fry them with shitake mushrooms.  We keep getting the best shitakes in our CSA share.  I should probaby be creative and do something different with them but this dish is so wonderful that we both keep talking about it.  

Stir-fried Snow Peas and Shitakes

Ingredients:

1/2 T olive oil
1 t sesame oil
12 shitake mushrooms, stemmed and roughly torn
18-24 snow peas
ginger paste (I use Gourmet Garden)
teriyaki sauce (I use Kikkoman)

Directions:

Pour the olive oil and the sesame oil into a small skillet.  See the difference in the colors of the oils?  



Add the mushrooms and saute until they're browned. 



Add the snow peas, ginger and teriyaki sauce and stir fry quickly.  Remove from the heat and serve immediately so the peas don't have an opportunity to overcook.  They should still be very crunchy.

1 comment:

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

PS...thanks for the sweet mention! And now I'm on the hunt for some of your cookbooks :)