Search This Blog

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Lauren's Garbanzo Bean Salad



My friend, Lauren, stopped by the office today to have me taste a Turkish dish that the folks at Bosphorous prepare.  It's called Pepper Delight.  And, it is delightful!  We had a grand time trying to figure out what's in it.  And, because she's an incredible cook, she'll be able to get really close.  Once we finished our tasting, our conversation wandered to things we'd recently made.  She got through the first recipe and I grabbed a meeting notes page and started scribbling.  I knew that even a gimp could toss together the garbanzo bean salad in no time flat.  And, I did.

What did we think?  Could I have this once a week, please?  It's funny.  Mom didn't like garbanzo beans - still doesn't - so we never had them growing up.  Then again, how many of the things we consider to be staples were "normal" items in a grocery store in the 60's?  Sun-dried tomatoes?  Red bell peppers?  I could go on and on here.  We are so very fortunate to have access to all the wonderful food.  And, as my blogging friend Liz and I have said many times, the two of us (who live about 4 miles apart) live in a grocery shopping heaven.  Trader Joes, Marsh, Kroger, Whole Foods, Fresh Market, Sams Club, Costco, Aldi's, Kincaids Meat Market, Taylors Bakery.  I'm sure I've missed at least half a dozen.  Yes, I'm rambling.  Back to the subject at hand - what we thought of this.  I absolutely loved it.  We typically eat vegetarian at least once a week.  You all don't see a lot of the recipes because they're frequently repeats.  Beans are so good for you.  And, they're easy on the wallet.  And, easy on the environment when compared to raising cattle etc.  I edited Lauren's recipe a bit based on what was in the fridge and the pantry.  This would also be wonderful with black beans.  Because I was trying to get dinner fixed and get off this stooopid sprained ankle, I didn't measure as I went.  That means that all the measurements below are guesstimates :-)



Lauren's Garbanzo Bean Salad

Ingredients:

1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed
small handful - about 2 T craisins
1/4 cucumber, not peeled, diced
1/3 red bell pepper, diced
2 oz feta cheese, crumbled
1/3 c parsley -not packed, just loosely tossed in the measuring cup
extra virgin olive oil
lemon balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar
cumin
1/4 c walnuts, toasted and crumbled

Directions:

Mix all ingredients together and serve.

2 comments:

Chris's Gourmet Fashion said...

Sounds really good. Love the idea of the feta mixed in with the garbanzo beans. These salads are really a meal in themselves.

Eliotseats said...

Molly Wizenberg features a chickpea salad that I love too. http://eliotseats.com/?p=3619
I love garbanzo beans (and hummus) soooo much I am dying to try your recipe!!!!