Search This Blog

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Summer Couscous

Like I've said before, couscous is a blank slate.  You can put just about any vegetable or fruit or herb or spice in it to make it go with your meal.  You can serve it hot or cold.  And, best of all, it's REALLY quick to make. 

Many years ago, I created a recipe for a mother-daughter pitch-in at Symphony on the Prairie.  It was very simple. 

Cucumber Feta Couscous

1 box olive oil and garlic couscous, prepared according to package directions
1 medium cucumber, diced (leave the skin on depending on it's taste)
4 oz feta cheese crumbled

Mix it all together, chill for at least two hours and serve.


So, when it came time to figure out how to use up some of the vegetables in the refrigerator, I thought of adding to the above recipe.  Summer couscous was born:





Summer Couscous

2 c boiling water
2 c couscous
1 cucumber
1 yellow squash
10 arugula leaves
1 sprig mint
1 sprig oregano
1/4 c lemon juice
1/2 c extra virgin olive oil
4 oz feta cheese

Pour the couscous into the boiling water, stir, remove from the heat and cover for five minutes.  Pour the cooked couscous into a bowl.  Stir in the other ingredients.  Allow to chill for at least two hours prior to serving.

4 comments:

FrenchPressMemos said...

Veggie couscous is my favorite way of getting your daily dose of vegetables and getting full. I recently tried Italian/Israeli couscous and LOVED it. I bet it would work great with this as well.

Sevgi said...

I really want to try your summer couscous. I also love how you can do whatever you want with it; it's so versatile. The other great thing is, how easy and quick it is to make. It's done in no time!

Katcher Cooking said...

Let me tell you about my love for feta cheese.... Believe me, I've never experienced a boom for a love of food more than I have for feta this summer! I never had it before this summer, and as soon as I had it I went out and bought a 1 lb of feta - and it was almost gone in a week. I slowed down at this point! Haha. But this looks delicious - I am in the mood for some couscous, and this is inspiring me to get on it!!
Bella cucina!
-Katherine

Anonymous said...

I love the blank slate of couscous. You've made a great summer version!