Search This Blog

Friday, July 9, 2010

Don and Molly's Baked Beans

 A few days ago, I drove to a small city close to here to do reviews for some employees of one of my groups.  Afterward, the owners and I sat in the break room and chatted.  The topic turned to food, naturally.  Molly and I love to trade recipes.  She's a fearless cook just like I am.  Don said they'd tried a new recipe for baked beans and it'd turned out really well.  Molly offered a taste.  Even cold, they were wonderful.  Right then and there I decided they'd be on the menu for the dinner in Cincinnati.  Turns out that baked beans are one of daughter-in-law Kara's favorite foods.  I left the rest of the beans with the kids - along with a ton of other food, but that's a subject for another day - and today I'm mourning the fact that I don't have any of these beans to heat up for dinner tonight.  They were fabulous!  Thank you, Molly and Don!!



Don and Molly's Baked Beans
2 28 oz cans Bushes baked beans
1 c molasses (I used the milder version)
1 c barbecue sauce (I used Sweet Baby Rays)
1 large can French's French Fried Onions (2/3 for mixing in and 1/34 for on top)
1 20 oz can crushed pineapple
1/2 pound bacon, browned and crumbled (1/2 for mixing in and 1/2 for on top)

Mix together the baked beans, molasses, barbecue sauce,



2/3 of the french fried onions, the pineapple and 1/2 of the bacon. 



Pour into a 9x13 ovenproof pan.  Top with the rest of the onions and the rest of the bacon. 



Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until the onions are golden and the beans are bubbling. 

1 comment:

Koci said...

Ohhh this looks so good! I love crispy onions, too! Great idea!