Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Back to Junior High School with Glop

Many years ago, when I was in 8th grade, I took the required (for girls) cooking class.  Now, Mom had been teaching us to cook since we could stand on a chair and reach the counter.  She's a fantastic cook and was a great teacher.  So, this class wasn't terribly enlightening.  But, I did wind up with one recipe that became a part of Mom's meal rotation.  It's been changed up a lot and is now one of Connie's top five.  In fact, he loves it so much that when I had to be out of town on business, I left him the recipe and he left me this note:




The original recipe called for macaroni, browned ground beef, canned tomatoes, basil and cheese.  It would be my guess that the box-mix mac and cheese hadn't hit the market yet :-) (Yes, sadly, I'm that old - lol.)




Glop

Ingredients:
1 pound very lean ground beef, browned and drained
1/4 c Andria's steak sauce (if you're using another, start with a tablespoon and taste so you don't get the stuff too salty)
1 box Kraft macaroni and cheese, prepared according to the package directions
1 can petite diced tomatoes
2 t dried basil
1 c grated cheddar (I usually use Cracker Barrel Extra Sharp but whatever is on hand is ok)

Directions:
Brown the ground beef and steak sauce in a large saucepan.  We order a case of Andria's at at time directly from the restaurant.  I've never found another steak sauce that's as good.  Most of the others seem to rely on LOADS of salt for flavoring.  From the ingredient list, this has a good number of veggies in it.  Yes, it still has salt but it sure doesn't seem like as much!





Make the mac and cheese according to the package directions.  Be careful not to overcook the macaroni or it'll become mush in the finished dish.Add everything to the ground beef and stir to combine. 



Make the hubby a happy boy and let him taste test :-)


7 comments:

Chef Dennis Littley said...

I gotta tell you that glop sounds pretty darn good, and I bet my girls would love a version of this....anything with cheese gets their immediate attention!

Kate said...

It is not gourmet food but Dennis it is SO good. I'll also bet your girls would love it since my stepsons do. I met their dad when they were 16 and 19 and started making this for them that first year. They've both actually learned to make it now. We're the same way with cheese. Any kind. Connie says my cheese drawer was just another reason he fell in love with me :-) Would love to hear feedback if you make any changes.

Gina Stanley said...

I have a middle schooler and she loves stuff like this, I'll have to try it out!

Steve said...

How could something named glop not be a winner. I'd try it on name alone.

Kate said...

Steve, I'm still laughing! Thank you :-)

egbkid said...

That looks good! A nice way to dress up the plain old KD. :-)

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I have a feeling Bill would love this, too...LOVE Connie's note :)