Search This Blog

Friday, July 16, 2010

Limoncello Gin Cocktail with Grilled Thyme

I'll grill about anything.  I can't count the number of grills I've gone thru in my lifetime. I've got grill baskets for the stuff too small to just put on the grate.  Skewers.  A fish holder.  You name it, I've probably got it if it has to do with grilling.  But, thyme?  For a cocktail?  Rather intriguing.  When my stepsons were here visiting last week I skipped my normal 12 hour workdays and came home at a reasonable hour so we could have cocktail hour while cooking dinner.  Since we'd just bought our first bottle of limoncello, I selected this for one of the drinks.  And, it turned out to be a pretty darned good drink.  We mostly gave it a four on a scale of one to five.  Our one to five is like this:
5 - It's ok to make again tomorrow.  If you don't do that, just make sure you make it again soon.
4 - It's very good.  Maybe could use a few tweaks but we'll probably make it again.
3 - It's ok.  Would need a lot of tweaking so with the number of new things to try we'll probably never get back to this one.
2 - Throw the recipe away and fuggedaboudit.
1 - I've never made one of these so don't really know how horrible these must be. (thank goodness!!)

Fives are very rare.  Glop.  Chicken caesar lasagna.  Slices.  Lemon lavender blueberry muffins.  Mushroom risotto with white truffle oil (not sure if I've blogged about that one!)  Hickory smoked pork chops. Blue cheese potato salad (coming soon.)  Blue cheese dressing. Steaks with blue cheese sauce.  Lamburgers with avocado sauce.  Cheddar pear pie.  Probably less than two dozen others in the last 6 years. 

Fours are pretty normal as are threes.  Fortunately, I've only thrown away less than a dozen recipes in the last 6 years.  (Why six years???  That's how long ago Connie and I met and he's the one who came up with the rating system.)  So either I'm doing a pretty good job of choosing recipes or we just love to eat about anything - lol.  Whatever the case, we enjoy doing the rating system.  Debating the finer points of rating dishes.  So on to the main topic - cocktails with GRILLED thyme.  Can't wait to come up with more.  Actually, Jason from Ancient Fire Wines - do you want to help on this quest?  (BTW - if you've never been to his blog, it's a lot of fun.  It's ancientfirewineblog@blogspot.com.  Assuming Connie can tell me how he created it, we'll have a blog on a great sage infused lemonade that came from Jason's blog.)




Limoncello-Gin Cocktail with Grilled Thyme

for each cocktail:
2 large sprigs thyme
1 T lime juice
3 T gin
1 T limoncello

Grill the thyme sprigs on high heat - just until the leaves turn slightly brown.  Remove from the grill.  Muddle the thyme and the lime juice in a cocktail shaker. Fill it with ice then pour in the gin and limoncello.  Shake until well chilled.  Serve neat or on the rocks.

from Food and Wine

6 comments:

Jason Phelps said...

Kate,

Thank you so much for the challenge. I posted the two drinks I came up with at http://bit.ly/aWqfrS.

The sage lemonade has exceeded all of my expectations! We made Real Lemon basic lemonade, 1 cup lemon juice, 1 cup sugar, water to 2 quarts. I added freshly picked sage and stirred frequently before serving a few hours later. I took out the sage the next day. So good!

Jason

Kate said...

OHHH - Those look really good. Thank you so much, Jason! Connie and I will probably try both of those this weekend. Let's keep working on this quest and see what other fun combos we can come up with :-)

Magic of Spice said...

Sounds wonderful...Pass me a glass. Oh and I bet Jason was up for the challenge...lol

Mother Rimmy said...

I'm ready to make these tonight! Yum!

Anonymous said...

This drink looks purely magical to me...trying it as soon as we get a bottle of limoncello!

Jean said...

This sounds great--will have to try this soon as I have tons of thyme growing in my yard now.