Search This Blog

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Cabbage Rolls

One of Mom's old-time family recipes and the  Daring Cooks challenge for October, 2010.  Our good friend, George, just raves about this recipe.  So, it's time to try it! 

I've written the recipe below just as Mom wrote it.  But, yes, I did make some changes.  I kicked up the filling with a bit of chili powder and crushed red pepper.  Instead of minute rice, I parboiled some regular converted rice.  The amount of brown sugar in the sauce was reduced.  Onions and green pepper were added to the tomato sauce.  Last, but not least, I cooked them in a saucepan on the stove. 

What did we think?  These were very good.  They're still not my favorite dish so probably won't get made again.  But, the chance to revisit a childhood meal was fun. 



Cabbage Rolls

Ingredients:

For the cabbage rolls:
1 large cabbage
1 lb extra lean ground beef
2 T raw minute rice
4 heaping T chopped onion
salt and pepper

For the tomato sauce
2 1lb cans tomatoes
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
7 heaping T brown sugar
1 can tomato paste with 3 cans water

Directions:

Put cabbage into boiling water to soften leaves. 



Separate leaves and drain well.  Mix meat ingredients. Roll a small amount into loose small balls.  Put a ball in a cabbage leaf and tuck in all sides. 



Place all as close together as possible in oblong pan. 

Mix sauce ingredients. 



Pour over rolls. 



Cover with foil and bake at 325 for about 4 hours.  Baste and add more water if needed.  This is better if made ahead. 

7 comments:

Audax said...

WOW your cabbage rolls look wonderful and you have them with tomato sauce inspired. It is good to hear that it reminded you of a fond childhood memories. Lovely photographs. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

Anonymous said...

I have all the stuff for these and had never made them. Think it's about time? I know my kids will make faces, hahaha Great post!

Unknown said...

Howdy Kate!

You're my blogging friend so you'll have to put up with this. I decided to tag you so you have to answer these questions to help others get to know you and your blog better. I hope you can play along!

http://themomchef.blogspot.com/2010/10/ugh-ive-been-tagged-so-im-it.html

~ Christiane

Jason Phelps said...

I remember these from when I was a kid! I can't remember who made them though. Made well I always enjoyed them, but cabbage can't sit around too long...

Jason

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

My mom made these, too...probably a very similar recipe. I remember liking them, so I may have to put these on my list to try!

Lori256 said...

Every Jewish mother made these and I do too! Mine have grated carrots mixed in with the meat and a handful of raisins in the sauce.

Marina said...

Those are delicious. Cabbage rolls are a Russian staple. I make them quiet often just like my mom taught me. I remember she made them weekly back when we lived in Russia. Instead of ground beef, I use ground pork, it adds a little more fat content and makes the cabbage rolls more flavorful.

www.marinasrecipebox.wordpress.com