Search This Blog

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Muffins

Why is it that muffins sound so much healthier than cupcakes?  They're basically the same except that cupcakes have frosting.  Since I could do without frosting, it's a no-brainer for me.  I much prefer muffins.  Many years ago, I lived in Fort Wayne, IN.  My house had a garden thanks to the previous owners.  I was lucky enough to have inherited a great rhubarb plant.  One of my favorite things to make was strawberry-rhubarb muffins.  So, When I found a recipe for Cinnamon-Rhubarb Muffins, I figured it could be adapted to use strawberries.  Had I made just these, they would have been a star of the meal.  But, I made the lemon lavender blueberry muffins for the same meal and they totally stole the show!

Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins

Muffins:
2 c  flour
3/4 c sugar
2 1/2 t baking powder
1 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t kosher salt
1 c sour cream
8 T unsalted butter
2 large eggs
1 t vanilla extract
3/4 c diced rhubarb
3/4 c hulled and chopped strawberries
Topping:
3 T sugar
1/2 t ground cinnamon

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.  Mix the dry in ingredients in a bowl and set aside.  Melt the butter and cool it a bit.  Whisk it with the eggs, sour cream and vanilla.  Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.  Use a spatula and be careful to not overmix.  Stir just until the ingredients are combined.  Stir in the rhubarb and strawberries.  Pour the batter into 12 muffin cups.  Mix the sugar and cinnamon then sprinkle it on top of the muffins.  Bake for 18-22 minutes.

No comments: