Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Cole Slaw

Seems like most folks either like the mayonnaise based version or the oil and vinegar based version.  Me, I like both.  It's typically the side I order when it's on the list.  I love cole slaw on burgers, pulled pork, pork tenderloin, just about anything.  For years, I used the cole slaw dressing in a jar.  Then, one day I decided that was wasteful so I decided to make my own.  That was typically a mayonnaise based dressing.  A few weeks ago we ate at the Huber Family Farm on our way back from a business trip to Evansville.  Between the vinegar based slaw and the apple butter, I knew I had to have the cookbook.  Once our cabbage gets big enough we'll be making our own Huber slaw.  But, last weekend we had ribs and those just call out for what is undoubtedly my favorite cole slaw - bbq.  Just as a side note, a bit of history.  It seems that cabbage, broccoli, brussels sprouts and the rest of the brassica family evolved from a wild plant know as cole wart.  Various cultures nurtured the plants to evolve into what they preferred, ergo the various brassicas we know and enjoy today.



Barbecue Cole Slaw
Make your typical cole slaw dressing with mayonnaise, cider vinegar and sugar.  Then, kick it up with some ketchup, mustard and a bit of jerk seasoning.

1 bag cole slaw mix or one small cabbage shredded
1/3 mayonnaise
1 T cider vinegar
1 T sugar
1 T ketchup
2 t yellow mustard
1 T jerk seasoning
1 t wing sauce (optional - this will kick it up another notch!)

This is better the next day so mix all of your ingredients and refrigerate overnight - or at least let it sit in the refrigerator for a couple of hours prior to serving.

No comments: