Search This Blog

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Deli Breakfast Sandwich



At the office working away and I need a brain break.  It's going to be a brutal week.  A busy week typically has 25 appointments.  This one has 34.  Ouch!  We're making a major change at the office and I need to get signatures on paperwork from about 400 clients.  Another 150 won't have to sign anything at this point - WHEW! 


The good news is that we started the morning with killer breakfast sandwiches.  Our tummies are full and happy.  Food Network Magazine publishes a pull-out booklet each month.  Fifty of something.  I usually scan the list and think, "That's nice," then never get anything made.  This month is different.  50 quick breakfasts.  I'm always on the lookout for a great new breakfast.  Unfortunately a LOT of the recipes were for sweet breakfasts.  I do vanilla yogurt, blueberries and Cheerio's a few times a week because Dr. Don says to eat dark fruits and veggies for my eyes and Dr. George says to eat fiber for my, well, you get it.  That's enough of the sweet breakfasts for me. 


What caught my eye about this recipe was the olive spread.  I had a jar of muffaletta relish that needed to be used.  Great excuse to open it!  And, I had some salami in the freezer that'd been there a couple of months.  Plus, any excuse to buy the Rosemary and Sea Salt Foccacia from Sam's Club is fine with me.  That is our favorite bread.  As much as I try NOT to eat bread, that's the one I'll devour.


What did we think?  A FIVE.  Absolutely.  I'd make this again tomorrow.  Now, nothing will ever replace slices of happiness.  But, this is close.  This will be one of those Sunday breakfasts that we'll talk about on Saturday.  A Saturday trip to Sam's after a day at the office to snag some of the foccacia.  An excuse to keep muffaletta relish on hand.  Perfect!



Deli Breakfast Sandwich

Ingredients:

foccacia bread or kaiser rolls
green olive tapenade, spread, relish or muffaletta relish
shredded mozzarella cheese
salami
mortadella
eggs

Directions:

Split the rolls or cut the bread into sandwich sized servings then cut those in half.  Toast the cut sides of the bread/rolls under the broiler. 



Spread with the green olive tapenade.  Top with the shredded mozzarella. 



Put it back under the broiler until the cheese melts.  While the sandwiches are getting started, cook your eggs. 



One per sandwich.  However you like them - scrambled, over easy, sunny side up...  Once the cheese melts, top one half with slices of salami and mortadella then with your cooked eggs. 



Put the top of the sandwich on and serve.

adapted from Food Network Magazine

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so bummed that your schedule is so busy because I miss 'seeing' you around. I'm glad that you included the fact that the booklet had mostly sweet breakfasts. Saves me from heading out to buy it. I will make this sandwich sometime though.

Debra Eliotseats said...

No kidding! That would keep me going through a really hectic day! Good luck this week!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Scramble my egg and I'll be over in the morning! I don't do sweet breakfasts either...and this would keep me full for half the day :)

Once things slow down, let's get together for dinner again!!!