Search This Blog

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Cucumber Salad





Leftovers for lunch again.  More Firefly meatloaf.  And, more cucumber salad.  I was hoping Connie wouldn't realize the salad was pushing five days old.  He really doesn't care for leftovers but eats them because that's whats served to him.


That evening, he says, 'Was that the cucumber salad we had a WEEK ago?"  Why, yes, it was.  (You and I know that's easier than arguing about the number of days something has been hanging around our refrigerators!)  Why?"  Well, he says, it was still very good.  I liked that a lot.  Can we have it again?  Like tonight?


SCORE!  Thank you MomChef!!!  So, my friend Christiane is a fantastic cook.  If you don't already know her, she's one you need to get to know.  I frequently make recipes from her blog.  In fact, if I only had two blogs I could read it'd be hers and That Skinny Chick Can Bake.  Not that I love to bake.  I don't.  I just think Liz is wonderful too.  And, she has some really fantastic NON-baking type recipes.


So, back to the cucumber salad.  Goodness but it was wonderful.  I'm not a huge fan of cucumbers.  We grow them in the garden because Connie loves them.  No, he LOVES them.  Cucumbers and radishes.  The two veggies that absolutely make his heart go pitty-pat.  Most of the time I just munch my way through the cucumbers knowing that I've made the dish because I love Connie - not the cucumbers.  Now, I have my own cucumber dish to love.  Ok, so here's the deal.  If you don't read another blog today, please go read this recipe on Christiane's blog.  Her story about her dad is so heartwarming that you'll probably have a smile on your face the rest of the day like I did!

Christiane's Cucumber Salad

Ingredients:

1 1/2 lb cucumbers, halved lengthwise and seeded
1/2 c thinly sliced red onion
2 T chopped fresh mint
2 T chopped fresh dill (dried will do in a pinch)
2 T red wine vinegar
1 t chopped fresh oregano
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 T extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 c crumbled feta cheese

Directions:

Chop the cucumbers in 1/2" chunks.  Quarter the red onions before thinly slicing them.  Toss the salad ingredients together. 



adapted from Taking On Magazines One Recipe at a Time, originally from Fine Cooking






1 comment:

Debra Eliotseats said...

Looks good! We are finally getting cukes so I am trying this.