Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Dirty Rotten Corrupt Rice



Dirty Rice is a New Orleans staple.  I loved it until the early 80's when I ate it for dinner the night before I came down with the flu.  Anything else said about that obviously falls into the too much information category!  Over the years, I tried dirty rice a few times.  But, it just didn't work for my anymore.  Then, I saw this recipe in Big John's Speedway Grill cookbook AND found out Connie loves the stuff.  Ok, time to try making it again. 

This time, enough years had passed.  YAY!  The addition of the cream soups was interesting and definitely isn't terribly traditional.  But, I followed the recipe. I know, shocking!  And, next time I'll certainly include the soups in the recipe.  This was very easy to put together.  And, the fact it had to bake for an hour and a half meant I could come in to the computer and get some work done while it was baking.  With a salad, this is all you need for a meal. 

Dirty, Rotten, Corrupt Rice

Ingredients:



1 lb ground Italian sausage (hot or mild or mixture)
1 1/2 c uncooked rice (NOT instant rice)
1 10 3/4 oz can cream of chicken soup
1 10 3/4 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 large onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
4 stalks celery, chopped
1 10/34/ oz soup can water

Directions:

Combine all of the ingredients








and pour into a 9x13 glass baking dish. 



Cover very well with heavy duty aluminum foil.  Bake at 325 for 90 minutes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Making this for dinner tonight :)