Search This Blog

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Sherried Mushrooms with Eggs



I pulled this recipe out when I did the month of Food and Wine posts.  We never got around to trying it.  I thought about it every Sunday.  Wishing I'd have the time to actually cook breakfast before we took off for the office.  Now, I suppose I should've gotten into the Halloween spirit this morning and made pumpkin pancakes.  But, I really wanted eggs.  And, the mushrooms weren't going to last too many more days.  So, sherried mushrooms with eggs it was. 


The recipe called for "rustic white bread."  I'm not a fan of buying a whole loaf of bread for just one dish.  Particularly when I've got the menu down for the rest of the week and it doesn't include anything that'll use it up.  So, our regular multi-grain bread would have to stand in for the rustic white.  Bread with rocks as nephew Stephen lovingly calls it.  I call it full of fiber, which is a very good thing for anyone.  As I finished the dish, I fished around in the fridge for the parsley.  Oops.  It's cilantro.  Oh, well, a worthy stand-in for the photo shoot.  The recipe actually called for sauteeing the mushrooms and onions together.  There's something about getting the onions a little caramelized that I like in a recipe.  So, I typically cook them by themselves so they're not drowning in juice from another vegetable.


What did we think?  It was ok.  The flavors were fine but the dish just didn't play together like I'd hoped.  I've made a sherry cream sauce with mushrooms before.  That was fantastic. This was just a bit insipid.  Next time I want sherried mushrooms and eggs, I'll go back to old faithful!


Sherried Mushrooms with Eggs

Ingredients:

2 T olive oil
16 oz box of mushrooms, sliced
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 c sherry
4 slices toast (rustic white is the preferred kind)
8 eggs
parsley for garnish

Directions:

Saute the mushrooms in one tablespoon of olive oil. 



Saute the onion in another pan in the other tablespoon of olive oil. 



Once the mushrooms are cooked and the onion has started to brown a bit, toss them together in the mushroom pan and add the sherry. 



Add a bit of olive oil to the pan you used for the onions.  Break your eggs into the pan.  Or, if you want to do it the right way, break each egg into a small bowl and pour it into the pan.  Avoids shells in the pan and all that good stuff.  Season the eggs with salt and pepper. 



Cover the skillet with a lid to get the whites to cook.  All the while, the mushroom mixture should be happily simmering away.  You don't want it to get dry, so turn down the heat if too much of the sherry has evaporated.  Pop the bread into the toaster. 



Now, you're ready to assemble the breakfast.  First, the toast on the plate.  Topped with mushroom mixture. 



Then, with a couple of eggs. 



adapted from Food and Wine

7 comments:

Mother Rimmy said...

The recipe sounds like it would be amazing. I'm sorry you were disappointed in the results. The pictures look terrific. What do you think would make the dish better? I have everything I need to give it a try.

Monet said...

Well it sure does look delicious! I know that I have a few favorites that I always turn to, again and again. I may experiment every once in a while, but when I find a good thing, I usually stick with it. Thanks for sharing!

Kate said...

Kristin - I'd actually make a sherry sauce instead of just allowing most of the liquid to cook down. I'm not sure if I'd add a bit of lemon juice to it or not. I liked the fact it was pretty low cal so I'd not add cream unless it was low fat half and half. Would love to hear your feedback after you try this! Kate

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Well, the sound of sherried mushrooms/eggs sounds SO good! Sorry it wasn't that great...but you've given me an idea of something to try for a holiday breakfast. Maybe scrambled eggs topped with your mushrooms in cream sauce! Mmmmmm.

Kate said...

Liz, I think you've hit the nail on the head! I'm going to try that myself :-) Kate

Tes said...

The mushrooms look so great. I always think mushroom and eggs are perfect combo. The pictures look amazing :)

Unknown said...

Honestly, I think one thing that would help this dish is to cook the eggs on top of the mushrooms in the skillet instead of separately. Just a thought. I think it looks fantastic too so I want to try it but I trust your review. :)