Search This Blog

Friday, November 12, 2010

Bok Choy with Chile and Garlic



We got some baby bok choy in the last CSA box of the season.  It was ideal for a side dish with the stir fried chicken and celery.  And, as luck would have it, I'd seen a new recipe in the most recent Everyday Living. 


Now, I've never been a huge fan of bok choy.  It's a tad too bitter for my taste.  But, we had it and it needed to be used up so I did so.


What did we think?  We wanted more chicken and celery and less bok choy.  This was actually great if you like bok choy.  It's super easy to fix and looks great on the plate.  I'm just not a fan...


Bok Choy with Chile and Garlic


Ingredients:



1 T olive oil or vegetable oil
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 1/2 lbs baby bok choy, washed and separated
1/4 t red pepper flakes
1/2 t sesame oil


Directions:

Heat the oil in a large skillet.  Add the garlic cloves. 



Stir for about 10 seconds until they're fragrant.  Add the bok choy and cook until the leaves are wilted.  That'll take about 4 minutes.  Add the red pepper flakes and sesame oil. 



Toss to combine.  Serve with the liquid on the bok choy.   


adapted from Everyday Food

9 comments:

Monet said...

I have never actually eaten a whole "stalk?" of bok choy before. Your celery and chicken look great too. Thank you for sharing. Here's to a wonderful weekend!

Anonymous said...

MMM i do like bok choy, i think it is the texture and how it absorbs the flavors of sauces.

Chef Dennis Littley said...

I have used bok choy quite a bit in stir frys but never thought of serving it that way....it sounds like a great way to eat them! Thanks for the inspiration!
Hope your having a wonderful weekend my friend!
Dennis

Unknown said...

This looks wonderful Kate. I made a similar dish (cooking the whole vegetable as a side) back this summer and loved it and have been keeping my eyes open for another one. Thanks for find this and sharing it. I can't wait to make it.

Belinda @zomppa said...

I like the added spiciness!

eatgreek.net said...

it looks yummy!

Heather said...

There is nothing about this that doesn't sound delicious!

Evan @swEEts said...

I have to agree with Monet, I've only had bok choy cut up in a stir fry..but with all that garlic it just has to be good :)

Becky said...

I have never thought of serving bok choy as a side dish until now. Your recipe sounds good with all of the spices.