Search This Blog

Monday, November 29, 2010

Bourbon Marinated Steak



We have an institution in Indy by the name of St. Elmo's.  They have the finest steaks I've ever had.  I've been to places on top ten lists like Bones in Atlanta.  They're great but I prefer St. Elmo's.  Call it hometown bias if you will, but it's one of Peyton Manning's favorite places too.  And, ole Number 18 just isn't a slouch when it comes to great places to eat.


That being said, our budget just doesn't allow St. Elmo's on a regular basis.  Maybe once a year.  So, if I want steak, I've got to fix it.  Now, when it comes to steak, my favorite is a cast iron skillet heated about as hot as you can safely get it with the steak seasoned with a bit of salt and pepper and a lot of Worcestershire sauce tossed in and left long enough to create a decent sear on the outside with the inside nice and rare.  YUM.  Well, steak isn't Connie's favorite.  So, when we do have it I try and do it up a bit so he's not just eating a slab of beef.  Our usual is a nice blue cheese crust.  We do that a couple of times a year and thoroughly enjoy it. 

Now, since I'm trying to clean out the freezer for party space, I was pretty anxious to get the two rib-eyes out of there.  What to do with them.  On Foodbuzz I came across a recipe from Liv Life for Bourbon Marinated Steaks.  It was pretty similar to the marinade recipe I've used for years for pork tenderloin.  I got my recipe from Back Home Again.  That's a cookbook from the Indianapolis Junior League.  It's probably my favorite cookbook of all time.  And, it's finally back in print if you're looking for a great gift to give yourself or someone else.  This marinade had the normal suspects with an additional slug of mustard, a bit of Worcestershire and some slice onion. 


What did we think?  Very good.  I'll make this again and may even try it on the pork tenderloins.  My guess is it'd also be great on chicken. 



Bourbon Marinated Steak

Ingredients:
steak(s)
1/4 c bourbon
2 T packed dark brown sugar
1/4 c low sodium soy sauce
2 T spicy mustard
1/4 c sliced onions
1 t worcestershire sauce
salt and freshly ground pepper

Directions:

Mix marinade ingredients and marinate steaks for about 2 hours before grilling. Note in the photos how easy it is to measure out 1/4 c of sliced onions when they're added to a measuring cup that already contains 1/2 c of liquid.



When you pour the marinade on the steaks, IF you put marinade on the already cooked side, make sure you flip the steak again to cook the marinade on that side.  The last thing you want is marinade from raw meat sitting on cooked meat...



We served our steak with some really crispy onions. 



adapted from Liv Life

15 comments:

Jennifer said...

This recipe sounds delicious! I really like the soy and brown sugar add-ins. Can't wait to try it...YUM!

Unknown said...

That's a lot like the marinade that I use for London broil, except that we include fresh ginger and a few other things. It looks absolutely wonderful.

Personally, other than the fact that restaurants can purchase better cuts of meat than I can buy regularly, I think the cooking is equaled by us home cooks. :)

Lauren said...

Oh wow! this looks amazing! I too am a big steak fan. the hubs makes fun of me for never getting anything other than steak when we go out for a nice meal. I'm a meat and taters girl.

thanks kate for your sweet comment you left for me. I appreciate all your support and encouragement! hugs!

Belinda @zomppa said...

I wish I had two ribeyes to get rid of! My favorite cut - and this is a fantastic sauce!

Evan @swEEts said...

This is totally going to be our next marinade for steaks! We're always looking for ways to change things up a bit :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my, that sounds and looks so yummy!

Jason Phelps said...

How can you go wrong with steak marinated in bourbon?

We don't eat steak that often, but when we do I also like to dress it up a bit. I'm going to have to try this the next time.

Jason

Tiffany said...

I was just looking for inspiration for dinner tonight, now I know exactly what we are having, Bourbon Marinated Steak! Great post and pics!

Kim - Liv Life said...

My husband will love this! His best friend (Jack Daniels) will work nicely!!
What a wonderful recipe.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Looks fabulous...and I need to look for your favorite Back Home in Indiana recipe, too!

Chefs Resources said...

Bourbon and steak... it has to be good! Sounds delicious.

Cook in a Bar said...

Looks delicious! Can't go wrong with bourbon...

Thomas Andrew said...

I love bourbon chicken...so why not try it with beef? :-p

Drick said...

like the mustard in here, I have used ginger before too... there are so many ways to infuse bourbon into steaks and this sounds like a winner to me, thanks Kate

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the great information! I would not have discovered this otherwise!.