Search This Blog

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Smoked Trout and Caper Cream Cheese Toasts



Woo Hoo, it's the weekend.  In my case it means that the phone won't ring as much and I'll not be totally inundated with emails.  But, that's ok.  I get a few things done.  Get ready for the upcoming week.  Finish up from the week before.  I got up really early Saturday morning to listen to the rain and work.  The door to the screened porch was open so the sound of the gently falling rain almost lulled me back to sleep.  But, I was a woman on a mission.  Trying to finish up a project - well, at least a good part of a project!  By the time Connie finally crawled out of bed I'd been up for over three hours and I was hungry!!!  The caper cream cheese was made for Sunday.  Executive decision time.  Eat the toasts on Saturday instead.  Don't you love making those kinds of decisions?

From the kitchen window I could see all the gorgeous yellow rasperries hanging on their vines.  Many years ago, I ordered three or six vines from one of the mail order houses.  The scraggly little vines didn't look like they'd ever produce anything much less the extravagant crop of raspberries we get.  By the time I moved five years ago, the vines had filled out their area in the garden and were producing a lovely crop.  I couldn't bear to leave them all behind.  So, along came about 6 starts.  Now, we've got a huge tangle of raspberry bushes. 



They turn from yellow to gold to blush.  The blush ones are like eating a burst of raspberry sugar.  Oh, my are they good.  We were in between rain showers so I headed out the door with a bowl.  Here's what I picked.  Aren't they beautiful?




What did we think?  Connie would've liked a thicker schmear.  I was happy with a thin one.  I'd have liked more caper flavor - maybe some whole capers should be put in.  But, all in all this was very good.  We'll absolutely make it again. 

Smoked Trout and Caper Cream Cheese Toasts
4 servings
 Ingredients:
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 small shallot, minced
1 T chopped chives 
1 T chopped capers
1 T fresh lemon juice
4 toasted english muffins
1/4 lb smoked trout fillet

Directions:

Mix the shallot, chives, capers and lemon juice



into the softened cream cheese. 



Toast (and butter if you're decadent) the english muffins.  Schmear them with the cream cheese. Top each muffin with crumbled smoked trout.



adapted from Saveur



2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd go with a thicker schmear but leave off the capers altogether. Not a caper fan.

I am, however, a HUGE raspberry fan and I want those berries! Our raspberries aren't in yet, but I can't wait until they're ripe. I'll be buying buckets!

Kate said...

I'd share if I could :-)