Search This Blog

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Grilled Fruit




Is everyone ready for the long weekend?  We certainly are.  My brother-in-law, Tom, heads here this evening.  He's a hoot.  One of these guys who's forgotten more about wine than most folks know.  He's a total fitness fanatic.  I think he got my share and Connie's share of the workout genes.  The best news for me is that unless you give him rare meat, he eats anything.  We'll visit the art galleries down on Mass Ave and go to a party at my brother, John's.  I've got a bunch of work to do so will have to spend a good bit of time at the office.  But, it'll be fun to see him!

My menu's almost done for the weekend.  I want to try a new spinach lasagna recipe.  Connie's requesting Thomas Keller's fried chicken.  My niece, Samantha, wants Casa d'Angelo salad.  My brother, John, wants three bean salad.  And, yes, he'd love some of the fried chicken.  So, I'll make a double batch and share.  Kate at Diethood made some incredible looking rosemary crackers.  I've been thinking about them all week and hoping I can make them this weekend.  There's a cauliflower and truffle soup in the Tavern on the Green cookbook.  Then, there's the garlic scapes and ricotta tart that's been on the menu for two weeks or more but hasn't gotten made because I keep heading to the office too early on Sunday.  Maybe this weekend I'll plan well so I can work on a project at home while it bakes...  Something that I'll undoubtedly make again is this dessert.  It was quick, easy and totally wonderful.  We've made grilled peaches with blue cheese and honey before.  This is that dish kicked up a few notches.  We loved it!!

Grilled Fruit

Ingredients:



1/2 peach per person
3 strawberries per person
2 t blue cheese per person
1 heaping T yellow raspberries perperson
honey
coconut balsamic vinegar (or other sweet vinegar like pear or fig)

Directions:

Cut the peaches in half and pit them.  Do not peel them.  Put the strawberries on a skewer.  Heat your grill.  Grill the peaches, cut side down.  Put the skewer(s) with the strawberries on the grill. 



When you have grill marks on the fruit, turn them over. 



Put the blue cheese in the centers of the peaches. 



When the blue cheese is well softened, take the fruit off the grill.  Put each peach in a bowl.  Drizzle some honey over it.  Top the peach with three strawberries and a tablespoon of raspberries.  Drizzle with the balsamic vinegar.  Serve warm.

No comments: