Search This Blog

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Lemon Apricot Apple Salad

Sometime over the last week, I read an apple salad recipe that caught my eye.  I hunted through the three cookbooks I read.  Nothing, nada, zip.  Hmmm.  I looked at a bunch of cooking blogs yesterday but can't access any of the recipes I saved because they're on my second screen at the office and I can only access the first screen.  I clipped a few recipes but they're in the stack to be taken in the car for our eight hour trip to Kansas City.  I need to sort a huge pile into try immediately, try and store probably never to be seen again.  Must be in there.  At any rate, we're trying some great new turnovers tonight and an apple salad sounded just perfect.  This is one of those times I just have to rely on the fact that I've cooked for a lot of years and should be able to figure out a recipe!  The verdict:  I loved the addition of the chopped apricots but the lemon curd underwhelmed me.  The mayonnaise did a nice job of mellowing out the lemon curd, but it didn't take away the extra sweetness it added.  So, if you're one who likes some extra sweetness in your apple salad, then by all means add the lemon curd.  If not, I'd stick with lemon juice and maybe a bit of sugar if necessary.

1 gala apple, cored and diced
1 red delicious apple, cored and diced
1 granny smith apple, cored and diced
20 dried apricots, diced
3/4 c toasted walnuts, chopped
3 ribs celery, chopped
1/3 c lemon curd
1/3 c lowfat mayo

No comments: