Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Green Beans with Walnut Parsley Sauce




Between the transition being one of the most traumatic and difficult things I've ever gone through and dealing with a totally tone-deaf rep of the builder we'd like to use to add on to the house, I've been very quick to tears recently.  That's totally unlike me and it honks me off totally that I'm being such a wuss.  Today I was at my wits end and I called a friend.  We'd not seen each other for about six months.  Way too long.  I actually felt a bit guilty calling because I wanted a phone number for a different builder so that maybe, just maybe we could get someone who'd hear what we've been saying.  What I got was pure comfort.  She knew exactly what to say and what questions to ask.  Now, my friends, that's a gift that few people have.  I am SO lucky to have my wonderful husband and my family and my friends.  Tonight, though, I'm particularly lucky to have my friend Nancy.  Thank you, Nancy!  Now, if I could just find a builder who'd listen... 

So, you're wondering what we're up to?  Over the last couple of years I've changed my business model.  It's meant being able to downsize my staff by half.  And, that means I don't need the 3.000 square foot office we occupy.  We're also scanning in old documents to attempt to go paperless. Over the last couple of years we've eliminated almost half of our filing cabinets.  My dream is to move our office home.  Can you imagine how wonderful it would be to toss a load of laundry in then head to the computer and work until the bell dings?  Or, to head to the kitchen and put Liz's pot roast in the oven to turn into an incredible dinner then head to the conference table for a client meeting?  BTW - if you've never tried Liz's pot roast, you need to.  Pot roast has always been one of those dishes that my mom made best.  Now, it's Liz's I crave.  Major YUMMMMM!

What's the point of all of this maudlin chatter?  Well, it really doesn't relate to the recipe at hand.  It's more venting.  Now, back to cooking. 

We made our own Thanksgiving dinner after T-day.  That way we'd have leftovers.  YAY!  One of the dishes I made was from Food Network Magazine.  It was called Green Beans wtih Walnut-Parsley Sauce.  Now, the green beans were on sale at the grocery.  Actually, they had a coupon in the paper that if you bought so many dollars worth of groceries you'd get a free pound of green beans.  They should've paid us to take them and deliver them to our compost pile!  Some of the worst green beans I've ever had in my life.  I'm not even sure if cooking them until they were mush would've helped.  It was sad too because the walnut parsley sauce was fabulous.  We both pretty much scraped it off the beans and ate it and left the beans.  Next time, I'll use the little haricot verts that they sell at Trader Joes or Sams.  Because this pesto is seriously good. 

Green Beans with Walnut Parsley Sauce

Ingredients:

1/3 c toasted walnuts
1 1/4 c parsley
1 small garlic clove, smashed
2 t Worcestershire
1/2 t lemon zest
1/2 t kosher salt
1/4 c olive oil

Directions:

This is super easy.  Put everything but the olive oil in the bowl of your food processor.  Process until it's a smooth paste.  Drizzle in the olive oil.  Didn't I tell you it was easy?

Adapted from Food Network Magazine

No comments: