Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 25, 2012


See the bumper crop of wild garlic/onions Connie picked from our yard?  That's only a small fraction of the wild stuff  growing wild around our place.  Once again, we made bottles of Chef Daniel Orr's wild garlic vinegar.  That stuff is seriously good!  My friend Eliot from Eliot's Eats has been enjoying a bumper crop of wild garlic/onions too.  Look at all of these yummies!  Pickled wild onions with honey and rosemary.  Tempura fried wild onions with romesco sauce.  Wild onion baked omelet.  I'm not sure where to start with these but am thinking the pickled wild onions may be the first step.

Wild Garlic Vinegar



Ingredients:

1 qt white vinegar

1/4 c sugar

2 t salt

15 black peppercorns

2 bay leaves

1 tsp red pepper flakes

10 wild garlic plants, washed





Directions:
Stuff a sanitized bottle with the wild garlic/onions and the seasonings.







Boil the vinegar, sugar and salt. When it's cooled a bit, add it to the other ingredients. You'll want to use a sanitized stoppered bottle. Make sure you use the stems and bulbs of the garlic and cover all the ingredients with vinegar. I used a bit less vinegar but the same amount of seasonings.






adapted from FARM Bloomington by Chef Daniel Orr

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I can think of all kinds of uses for this yummy vinegar!

Eliotseats said...

Oooh! I wish I had this recipe when we still had some onions. Oh well, I will definitely save it for next year's crop. Thanks for the shout-out too. Let me know what you think of the pickled onions.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Wow, what a great idea! I just pull up those wild onions and toss them...now they have a delicious purpose.

THANKS again for hand delivering those fresh morels...I can't wait to savor every delicious bite....mmmmmm. xo

Gina said...

Mmm, I wish I had some wild onions. Luckily we have great farmer's markets around here. This would be great on so much. Just coming to check up on you and hoping you survived tax season in tact. Hope you have a great week.
-Gina-