Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Bananas Not Foster



Bananas Foster is one of my favorite dishes.  It evokes wonderful memories of New Orleans - probably my favorite city to visit.  But, alas, it was not to be during our recent mini-vacation.  I packed the bananas and dark rum and banana liqueur.  But, ice cream was nowhere to be found.  So, I made a banana version of zabaglione.  Then, we were stuffed after dinner so the zabaglione went in the fridge.  The next day we were going to the Huber wine dinner so dessert after lunch was the only option.  I mixed the zabaglione with some honey greek yogurt thinking I'd put it over the bananas.  Not happening.  Home we went.  Sunday we got home late and there was no chance of dessert.  Monday I escaped the office really late so pizza was the main attraction.  Tuesday I was in my Columbus office and didn't get home til 8:30.  (now, you know why it's been so long since you've heard from me!)  By Wednesday, it was do or dump.  So, I did. 

Bananas Not Foster

Ingredients:
for the zabaglione yogurt mix (makes enough for two batches):
4 egg yolks
1/4 c dark brown sugar
2 T banana liqueur
2 T dark rum
1 c honey greek yogurt

for the bananas:
2 T butter
3 bananas
fresh nutmeg
ground cloves
ground ginger
dark rum

Directions:
To make the zabaglione, whip the egg yolks with the sugar in the top of a double boiler.  If you're really careful, it works just fine over low heat in a saucepan.  Slowly pour in the run and the banana liqueur.  This will get VERY thick.  I mixed it with about a cup of honey greek yogurt to make a lovely sauce.

For the bananas, melt the butter in a small skillet.  Peel the bananas and cut them in half lengthwise.  Saute them in the butter until they're softened. 



Sprinkle freshly grated nutmeg and cloves and ground ginger on them. 



Flip them once. 



Pour over a couple of tablespoons of dark rum.  VERY carefully light it on fire. 



It'll not flame much.  Once the bananas are cooked, spoon them into a bowl and pour some of the banana zabaglione sauce over them. 

1 comment:

Angela@RecipesFromMyMom said...

Glad you finally found time for dessert! Lighting the liquer is always exciting.