Search This Blog

Sunday, November 3, 2019

Butternut Squash and Cranberry Tart




There we were in Costco and in front of me was a box of chopped butternut squash.  I wasn't certain I could find the recipe that triggered my desire to buy the box but I figured the worst that could happen was butternut squash soup.  At the same time I bought a bag of cranberries.  I do love fresh cranberry season.  We use a few bags and toss a few more into the freezer for the mid-summer fresh cranberry craving that inevitably happens.  I knew there was a magazine with a herd of cranberry recipes that'd sounded good.  Was I ever in luck.  Not only was said magazine on my hassock, the butternut squash recipe was for both butternut squash AND cranberries.  

The recipe came together VERY easily.  Other than adding the blue cheese before baking, I followed it to a "T."  I let the tart sit the prescribed 10 minutes after baking and it was still a bit runny.  But, the flavor was still magnificent.  

Butternut Squash and Cranberry Tart

Ingredients
 1 pie crust
2 cups diced butternut squash
1 1/2 c fresh or frozen cranberries
3/4 c diced red onion
2 T honey
1 T olive oil
2 t minced fresh sage
1/2 c grated Parmesan
1/2 c crumbled blue cheese

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 450.  Put the pie crust in a pie plate and crimp the edges.  Sprinkle the grated Parmesan over the pie crust.  



In a medium bowl toss together everything else but the blue cheese.  



Pour the butternut squash mixture into the pie shell.  Top it with the crumbled blue cheese.  



Bake 30 minutes.  This is best if you let it cool for 10-15 minutes so it's not so runny.  NB:  the recipe called for 1/3 c blue cheese and for sprinkling it on after the tart bakes.  Your choice!  

adapted from Cuisine at Home

No comments: