Search This Blog

Monday, July 6, 2015

Tomato Salad with Shallots and Parsley



Take the name of the dish and, there but for a bit of extra virgin olive oil, a dash of Dijon mustard and some judiciously sprinkled kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, you have the recipe.  It just doesn't get any more simple than this absolutely perfect summer dish.  I've been a huge fan of caprese salads since discovering them lo these many years ago.  This is the other salad enjoyed throughout the summer by our French friends.  And, this will be heresy to my dear friend Donna, but I do believe I like this better!

As part of Weekend in a French Kitchen, we're cooking our way through two cookbooks.  This is from the Sunday book:  A Kitchen in France by Mimi Thorisson.  David, Kara, Bradley and Rosie gave me an Amazon gift card for Mother's Day.  This lovely cookbook is how I used the gift card.  It's already getting stained and dog eared.  The mark of a well-loved cookbook!

Now, I'm a day late posting.  Sunday dawned bright and sunny.  We worked on the house for a bit before Connie dropped me off at the office and started out on his errands...  grocery, hardware store, bird food...  I had him drop me off so as to set a stop time.  I was working on a very complicated retirement plan and wanted some good uninterrupted time.  About three o'clock we got home.  Saturday we'd made great progress on the garage.  We're having a big party in a week and we want the house and garage to look great.  Not like we just moved in two months ago but like we've lived here for a while.  We looked at each other and said, "Let's dig in."  Dinner was to be my dish for Blogger C.L.U.E. Society, posting this Wednesday.  Dinner was at 9:30.  Thank goodness for long days or I'd not have been able to grill as easily.  By the time we finished dinner I was too exhausted to even take a shower.  Bedtime it was.  No blogging for me!

Now, my eagle-eyed friends, I'm certain you'll notice that my herb of choice was basil and not parsley.  I confess.  Basil is what I had so basil is what I used.  And have used since.  Yes, we've made this again.  And, will make it probably weekly this summer.  Until we get tired of warm, ripe tomatoes!  Which right now just doesn't seem possible, now does it?





3 comments:

Kayte said...

Looks great! Just love the look of these summer tomatoes! I almost missed this post from the group as I was just here visiting after reading Kathy's post about your recipe for that wonderful fig salad! This is a great easy recipe for busy weeknights this summer, isn't it?

Christy @ Confessions of a Culinary Diva said...

I relate so much to you. I was stressing on Sunday about Blogger CLUE, work has been crazy, and Sous Chef ripped his knee. Sometimes you just have to work with what you have and posting a little late is okay.

Hope your move is going smoothly and your big party next month is a success!

Alice said...

Basil I bet is a great substitute! I ate this for lunch every day for about two weeks before it got "old"... now I'm just making variations on it! :) Great job Kate! You have been really busy lately!