Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Stir Fried Shrimp and Vegetables



This week I am without a menu plan.  Bummer.  We're trying to clean out the freezer.  I am not motivated.  And, instead of recipes I've been reading things like why the unemployment rate is not so much due to a training/jobs availability problem as it is due to the extension of unemployment benefits and the refusal of the highly paid folks laid off during the recession to settle for lower wages.  Snoooze, eh?  I've seriously been trying to get caught up on all of my business reading.  And, I am making a dent.  It's just not nearly as fun as recipes...  Now, don't get me wrong, I couldn't do the cooking thing for a living.  I really love what I do.  But, I think I've spent a little too much time working in the last week. 

Today we had such a fabulous selection to choose from for lunch:  salsa fish, split pea soup, ham salad, hash browns, soggy salad, leftover pasta fra diavolo and honey ham.  Tonight all I knew was that I had broccoli to use up.  And, there were mushrooms and carrots ready to go too.  On the way home I started ruminating about the possible broccoli dishes.  Roasted broccoli?  Nope, requires a protein and possibly another vegetable or starch,  I wasn't in to three dishes.  A casserole?  Nah.  More leftovers.  And, as you could see from the list above there is still plenty for tomorrow's lunch.  Ok, so how about stir fry?  That'd work. 

I hunted through my recipes and found two likely candidates.  One that had pineapple and shrimp.  Sounded like broccoli could be added.  And, another with snow peas, celery and mushrooms.  That'd be perfect with carrots and water chestnuts swapped out for the snow peas.  Eat with the season as much as possible.  And, avoid unnecessary trips to the grocery.  So, the recipe from Food and Wine it was.

What did we think?  Connie gave this a four.  I used less ginger because it wasn't minced, it was jarred and I didn't want to overwhelm.  I should've used a bit more.  And, I should've upped the sherry just a tad.  This was really close to a four in my book.  And, really, other than the broccoli, it's stuff that we always have on hand.  Mushrooms are pretty much always on the grocery list.  Carrots and celery are a given.  And there's always a bag of shrimp in the freezer.  What could be easier? 

Stir Fried Shrimp and Vegetables
2 servings

Ingredients:

1/2 c diced celery
1/2 c sliced carrot
1 c broccoli florets
4 oz button mushrooms, sliced
1/2 can diced water chestnuts
1/2 lb medium shrimp, shelled (I used pre-cooked)
3/4 c chicken broth
1 T cornstarch
2 T dry sherry
1 T soy sauce
1 t sugar
1 T vegetable oil
1 1/2 T minced fresh ginger
1 small jalapeno, seeded and minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 t sesame oil

Directions:

In a large skillet heat the oil to shimmering.  While that's heating, mix up the sauce.  Put the corn starch in the bottom of a measuring cup and slowly add the chicken broth so you can incorporate the corn starch well.  Then, add the dry sherry, soy sauce, sugar and ginger. 



If you're using dried jalapeno like I did, add that too.  Otherwise, add it when you add the garlic. 





Once the oil is shimmering, add the vegetables and stir fry them for a couple of minutes.  Add the garlic and jalapeno if you're using fresh.  Stir fry.  Add the sauce and the shrimp and cook until the sauce is thickened. 

adapted from Food and Wine



No comments: