Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Bruschetta with Cantaloupe Chutney and Prosciutto



Prosciutto and cantaloupe.  Pretty much the perfect pairing, isn't it?  So, I have a choice here.  One, tell you really quickly about this fantastic recipe or two, write a long post and once again let it languish in the queue because there isn't time to finish it.  Speed wins.  This was amazing.  We'll have it again for lunch today!

Prosciutto Bruschetta and Cantaloupe Chutney

Ingredients:

12 1/4" thick baguette slices
2 T olive oil
12 thin prosciutto slices (I used half slices since my baguette was tiny)


for the chutney:
1/2 medium cantaloupe, peeled, seeded and finely diced
1/2 c firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 c white wine vinegar
1 T minced fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 t salt
1/4 t ground cloves
pinch cayenne

Directions:

Mix the chutney ingredients in a medium saucepan.  Cook over medium low heat for about 45 minutes.  You'll want the chutney to thicken up so it stays on the bruschetta.  Now, because it was almost 9pm and I'd just gotten home from the office and wanted dinner NOW, I put the chutney in a bowl and microwaved it for 3 minutes. It didn't thicken well, but it did serve to combine the flavors nicely. Next time I'll do it the right way. 

To make the bruschetta, brush the baguette slices with olive oil and broil them until they're just a tad bit brown.  Fold the prosciutto and put that on the slices.  Top with a dollop of chutney.  Broil again until the chutney is bubbly.

adapted from Southern Living

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad speed won out because I got a smile seeing your post listed! Now I just wish I hadn't used all my cantaloupe on a drink I didn't even like. Miss you!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Sounds lovely, Kate...you can't beat the combo of melon and prosciutto : Hope life is slowing down a bit...I'm so glad you're taking the time to share a few recipes! xo