Search This Blog

Monday, February 7, 2011

Corned Beef and Cabbage



Corned beef sandwiches from Shapiro's Deli.  Wow.  One of life's treats.  Right up there with the double cheeseburger from Workingman's Friend.  So, how can a meat that's so magical when slapped between pieces of rye bread then slathered with spicy mustard taste so incredibly mundane when boiled with cabbage and carrots and potatoes?

We've not had the New Year's Day corned beef and cabbage routine in our family.  No, my brother's mother-in-law, Pat, fixes pork and sauerkraut for New Years Day.  Probably my favorite meal of the year.  She's a wonderful cook and this is her best meal.  So, I usually buy a corned beef when they're on sale leading up to New Year's Day, then cook it later in January.  That's what I did this year. 

So, how do I fight the blahs?  Ramp up the flavor with beef broth and red wine.  I made this recipe up probably twenty years ago.  And, it's been my go-to ever since.

Corned Beef and Cabbage

Ingredients:
corned beef
potatoes
carrots
cabbage
garlic cloves
beef broth
red wine
peppercorns
bay leaf
seasoning packet from the corned beef

Directions:

Put your carrots and potatoes in the crockpot.  I use the baby carrots.



Then, quartered potatoes.  Rarely do I ever peel potatoes.  There's so much good in the skins that it just feels wasteful!



Then, put the corned beef on top of the carrots and potatoes.  Tuck about a dozen garlic cloves around the corned beef.



Toss in a bay leaf and about a tablespoon of black peppercorns.  Add the seasoning packet from the corned beef.  It'll have more good stuff like mustard seeds.  Pour in a couple of cans of beef broth and one of the little bottles of red wine.  It's about 3 cups of beef broth and a cup of red wine. 



Cover the crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours.



Just before serving the meal, quarter and core the cabbage.  Cut it into slices and steam it until it's nice and soft. 



Slice the corned beef.  Serve with the vegetables and a ladle of the broth.



If you're doing this on the stovetop, you can use a 46 oz can of beef broth and cook the cabbage in with everything else. 

10 comments:

FabiolousCookingDay said...

I will have to try this!

Mateja ^_^ said...

Now my mouth is watering excesively! Didn't slow cook a piece of meat in ages and yours looks so inviting, with all the veggies for kepping it company on the plate! Thank you for sharing :)

Unknown said...

I'm not a big corned beef person, but you might be able to change my mind with this recipe. It looks fantastic.

Monet said...

Can you believe I've never tried corned beef before? I think I need to fly to your house for my first experience. Yours looks too good! Thank you for sharing your words, your photos and your thoughts. I'm blessed to have you in my day! I hope you have a wonderful week, my friend!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Bill's Irish mom makes this every year...and guess who won't eat it? I think I should see if he likes your recipe...I just adore corned beef!

Unknown said...

That looks wonderful. I have been dying to make corned beef. Thanks for sharing.

Kate @ Diethood.com said...

It's easy as that?? I have yet to try corned beef... and now I want it! Thanks for the inspiration to try this.

Deborah Dowd said...

Great post for those of us planning to make corned beef for St. Pat's. I have not used beef broth cooking mine and usually I put all the veggies in together. My favorite is corned beef hash the next day!

Brandie@thecountrycook said...

I have not had good corned beef in a really long time. This really sounds so good!!

Lomo said...

My mom used to make a corned beef dish in her crock pot....this is perfect for St. Patty's day! Looks fantastic!