Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Cheddar Cheese Soup





Many years ago, I found a cookbook called Bakery Lane Soup Bowl.  At this point, I have no idea where I found it.  Since it was used, my guess is the church rummage sale.  I'd not tried anything from the cookbook in spite of reading it cover to cover.  When Connie came home with a growler of stout for the 1/3 cup I needed for the cheddar ale spread, I realized either we were going to be drinking a LOT of stout over the course of 48 hours or I was going to have to find another use for a good part of it.  How about cheese beer soup?  One of my all-time favorite soups.  Bakery Lane was the second cookbook I looked in.

What did we think?  The soup was relatively complicated to put together.  Chop, shred, brown, mix...  Three pans and multiple steps.  I liked it better than Connie did.  In my opinion, it wasn't quite thick enough.  And, I'd have added some cauliflower and broccoli to the vegetables.  And, I'd have added more cheese.  Last, but not least, it says to top it with bacon.  I did and the bacon sank to the bottom...  But, I'll make it again with some tweaks.

Cheddar Cheese Soup

Ingredients:

1/2 c diced bacon (2 oz)
1 olive oil
1 c chopped carrot
1 c chopped onions
1 c chopped celery
3 c chicken stock
1 1/2 c beer
3 1/2 c milk
1 lb extra sharp cheddar cheese
2/3 c flour
1/2 c heavy cream

Directions:

Brown and drain bacon. 



Wipe out the skillet.  Pour in the olive oil.  Saute the vegetables until they're softened and onion is transparent. 



In a large saucepan, heat the stock and beer. 



Add the vegetables.  

Shred cheese on large holes of grater. 



Toss the shredded cheese with the flour.  Here's where you need to add more thickening if you want a thicker soup.  Scald the milk.  Add the cheese and flour mixture and stir until the cheese is melted. Once the vegetables are tender, add the cheese/milk mixture to the vegetable pot.  Add the cream at the same time.  Stir well.  Serve topped with the bacon crumbles and fresh parsley if desired.

4 comments:

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Looks great, Kate...definitely soup weather...I made a pot of vegetable beef soup tonight!

Monet said...

I adore cheese soup...and yours looks pretty yummy. I'm sorry it wasn't quite thick enough for you guys. We like our soups thick too! I hope you are having a lovely week. Thank you for always sharing such great eats with me.

Cajun Chef Ryan said...

Oh my, this looks like a great warming soup, love the cheese and cream in this one!

Susan Hobbs said...

Gotta try this one!! It looks and sounds wonderful!