Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Plan B French Martini

Let's set the record straight.  Our martini glasses are a little on the large side.  Second, while we occasionally drink liquor neat, or at least with no mixers, only ice, we do not generally prefer rocket fuel.  It's okay on the rare occasion when you have a really bad day and just want some scotch on the rocks.  But for the most part, we prefer an enjoyable, sippable drink that at least lets you prepare a sensible meal and not talk in funny voices, or step on the cats.  Of course, we're both such klutzes that it's a good thing that 1)dogs are not allowed in the kitchen and 2) the cats just instinctively know to avoid the kitchen when the humans are there. 

All that being said, I saw a recipe for a French Martini on Foodbuzz this morning and couldn't find it this evening.  I thought I saved it but even hunting through those didn't help.  Connie hunted.  I hunted.  The blogger had said it is her favorite drink.  I wanted to make it.  A French Martini.  It sounded as if it were volumnious enough to make a nice relaxing, sit and talk on the porch, type of drink.  When we couldn't find it, Connie jumped in and found a drink called by the same name on drinksmixer.com. 

One sip, plan B.  Whoa.  First it was tiny.  Two ounces and you are done.  And guess what?  Vodka for 1 1/2 ounces of that.  Not our taste.  Rocket fuel.  Sorry.  Not to be daunted, we switched to plan B.  Both drinks went back in the cocktail shaker and simple syrup and some more pineapple juice went in.  Not surprisingly, there is no recipe for this, at least before now.



The Plan B French Martini (for two)

3 oz Vodka (we use Smirnoff)
1 1/2 oz Chambord
1 1/2 oz pineapple juice
1 oz simple syrup (2:1)

Add everything to a cocktail shaker, shake shake shake, strain into a chilled martini glass, kiss the one you love, and enjoy.

It turned out to be much more mellow than the first go-around and had enough volume to allow us to chill for awhile,  or at least for what passes for that around here.

4 on our rather restrictive 1 - 5 scale, and totally acceptable.

Always have a Plan B.

19 comments:

Mother Rimmy said...

I love your sense of humor. It comes through in your writing. I'm with you when it comes to rocket fuel. I like your plan B version better. :)

Becky said...

Anything with Chambord is a winner in my book. Good job with Plan B!

Rick said...

Plan B is way better. Never heard of a French martini before, but it seems intriguing. And yes, the lobster salad at Chatham Bars Inn is so good. I like the one with less mayo and more lemon zest.

Quay Po Cooks said...

I never heard of French Martini:D We love dirty martini but I am curious to try French Martini tho:)

Scraps said...

Sounds delicious! I prefer my cocktails with a fair balance of mixer, too. Even the best Vodka, Gin or Rum is just too strong to drink neat most days.

Port, on the other hand... I'll take that straight any day.

Anonymous said...

I had my first Martini last summer. Woah! Rocket fuel! Your version sounds so much more delicious and sophisticated. James Bond can keep his vodka martini - I'm voting for Plan B!

Kate said...

Mother Rimmy - thank you so much!
Rick - I wish I was on Cape instead of in Indy...
Scraps - I'm with you on the Port. First had that a couple of years ago and absolutely fell in love with it.

Foodtographer said...

I'm always looking for new cocktail ideas. The more simple, the better. At least with cocktails. Need to ry this one. Good stuff. BYW..I love your humor.

Lisa Faley said...

Some of the best creations are made precisely that way!
Cheers!

FoodiesAreFun said...

Ha! good show...but of course, as a single-ish woman, I hear "Plan B" and I think of something else (insert uncomfortable emoticon here.)

H

Susi's Kochen und Backen said...

Chambord is one of my favorite liqueurs and this drink sounds delicious! I'm so bookmarking this :o)

Chef Dennis Littley said...

thats a great martini, but where is the other one....you said it was for two! It sounds absolutely delicious!
definitely a good idea with the simple syrup. The chambord is such a nice touch too! Send this over to Denise @ Quickies on the dinner table for her contest!

Gree said...

I love French Martini's!! But you are so right, they are wickedly strong, I think I might actually be able to continue a conversation after your recipe!

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

I could use one of those tonight! looks great!

Unknown said...

Bravo! I love the purple hooter, which is a lot like what you ended up making. Never heard of the French martini (how much you wanna bet the French haven't either!).

Kate said...

Purple hooter - LOL - Yes, Christiane I think I'd be hooting if I drank more than one of these :-) But, they were REALLY good. What a great name. Can't wait to tell Connie but I'll wait til morning...

Dennis that's a great idea - Thank you!

Karen said...

Nice save on the cocktails...I hate martinis that burn going down! This one sounds like a much better option!

lostpastremembered said...

what a great drink, I had never heard of it either!!!

Jason Phelps said...

Is this the one you were looking for? It seems similar and does indeed sound good. I'll have to stop and get the things I need to try it.

http://jasoncooks.blogspot.com/2007/08/balthazar-french-martini.html

One other thing I have found when it comes to cocktails is that a measure (proportional to taste) of a dry white or a sweet red vermouth depending on the other ingrediants can really help with the hot alcohol flavors and bring together a drink. I don't think I would use it here, but I might use some orange bitters to make the citrus and berry pop!!

Jason