Search This Blog

Sunday, February 13, 2022

Bloody Mary Tomato Aspic

 




Sometimes new recipes come from happy coincidences.  Our Super Bowl menu was going to be 1950’s cocktail party recipes.  Tomato aspic was on the list.  But I was going to do the tomato aspic/avocado mousse that I’ve made for several parties.  The pantry wasn’t cooperating.  I found huge bottles of V8 but nothing the size I wanted.  But there was a quart of Clamato.  As I carried it into the kitchen my mind went to Bloody Marys.  Hmmm, what if I made my regular tomato aspic recipe and kicked it up with Bloody Mary seasonings?  And, instead of the avocado mousse I’d do a shrimp and crab salad.  A plan was born. 

What did we think?  Well, other than the ummmmmm’s it was pretty quiet.  Then, everyone went back for seconds.  I think this one was a touchdown!

 

Bloody Mary Tomato Aspic

Ingredients

4 c Clamato

2 packets gelatin

1 ½ T Lemon juice

½ T Red wine vinegar

1 T Worcestershire sauce

1 t Sugar

½ t Garlic powder

½ t Celery salt

½ t Lawry’s seasoned salt

½ t Onion powder

 

Seafood Salad

Ingredients

1 lb 20-25 shrimp, chopped

8  Oz lump crabmeat

½ Orange bell pepper, chopped

½ Red onion, chopped

½ Jalapeno, minced

3 Celery ribs, chopped

½ Cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped

12 Cherry tomatoes, chopped

3 T Extra virgin olive oil

3 T lime juice

¼ c Cilantro, minced

 

Directions: 

Pour some of the clamato in a small bowl.  Sprinkle the gelatin on top of it to allow it to soften.  Put the rest of the aspic ingredients in a saucepan and heat gently.  Add the gelatin mix and stir until the gelatin dissolves.  Pour into a mold and chill overnight.

Just before serving, mix all of the salad ingredients.  Unmold the aspic onto a plate and spoon the seafood salad around it. 

Thanks to Taste of Home for the Seafood Salad recipe!

 

No comments: