Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Henri's TasTee Dressing Clone



Some things are just plain meant to be.  This month for Blogger C.L.U.E. Society I was assigned A Palatable Pastime.  Unlike a lot of the bloggers in the group, I've not been well acquainted with Sue's blog.  So, it was a lot of fun to get to stalk her and figure out what'd go best with CELEBRATE!  Yes, the theme of our December posts is celebrate.  That left out SO many fabulous posts.   Baked Apple French Toast, Mediterranean Chickpea Salad (sounds healthy!) Candied Walnut and Grape Salad, Bacon Cheddar Deviled Eggs...  Yes, several of these will find their way to our table when we're once again home often enough to really cook.  For now, we're into the easiest things we can figure out that don't involve calling Donatos...

We've had pretty much the perfect storm at the office.  First and foremost, our right hand assistant, Teresa is out thanks to a knee replacement.  That's about 24 hours a week that we've had to take back.  Into a week that stretches to seven days of work anyway.  Then, there's the fact that Social Security changed the rules of the road and I'm having to work my way back through a couple hundred plans.  Add in the fact that we've taken over the care for my aunt and uncle (ages 85 and 97.)  And, several dinner parties.  Including the entire Girls Night Out crew and their hubbys or significant others.  And, Christmas Eve for my family.  And, about 26 hours of continuing education that needs to be done by year end.  And, and, and.  I'm overwhelmed.  So, quite honestly, the idea of a major celebratory dinner was out of the question.  I was looking for something that was easy, a bit decadent, a bit festive and that would be wonderful while we decorate for Christmas.  Smoked salmon dip.  Perfect.  But, I didn't quit reading.  Then, I found homemade Henri's TasTee Dressing.  Did that ever bring back memories. 

Way back in the mid 70's I was a management trainee at Lincoln National Bank in Fort Wayne, IN.  Every year there was a gift exchange and pitch-in.  Marcie, the president's assistant, brought a dip that I absolutely swooned over.  I still have the recipe card where I wrote the recipe.  And, I still make it for parties when I can.  Oh, you know, here's the gift I got at that exchange.  It's sitting on the shelf right above the computer monitor where I'm typing this post.  The little blue and white china box. 



And, it still makes me smile to think of the good times I had back there.  Now, what I've not said is that Marcie's Dip calls for Henri's TasTee Dressing.  We can't always find it.  Needless to say I'm one unhappy camper when I can't find my Henri's.  Now, I don't have to.  I have Sue's re-creation.  Oh, yes. 

So, I made the dressing but I used it as a salad dressing since I didn't have the Buddig Chipped Beef to make the dip.  You see, I'd bought all the ingredients for the smoked salmon dip.  Now, typically I'd give you a link to the recipe on the blog but I can't find it again...  I've looked thru Sue's index and it's not listed that I can see...  So, thank goodness I printed it out!!!

Henri's TasTee Dressing Clone Ingredients

1 c sugar
1 T celery seed
1 t salt
1/4 t ground white pepper
1/4 c onion powder
1 1/2 t dry mustard
1 t turmeric
1/4 c vinegar
1-2 c mayonnaise

Whisk it all together.  This makes a fabulous coleslaw dressing.  Or, salad dressing.  Or smoosh it with 8 oz of cream cheese, a bag of Buddig chipped beef (finely diced,) some pickle relish and a bit of mustard and you've got a great dip!

So, with many thanks to Sue, I can now recreate one of my favorite dips whenever I want!!!  Here's a list of my friends from Blogger C.L.U.E. Society who also have some fabulous celebratory recipes!



21 comments:

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Sounds like a fabulous salad dressing! Adding to my "to try" list. The sooner the better. Hope things slow down for you soon!!! xoxo

Kathy Walker said...

I have never seen Henri's dressing....you have me intrigued. Versatile comes to mind....will need to give it a try.

Unknown said...

Dressing ... dip ...it all looks amazing! I hope your life does calm down a bit and you're able to make those other dishes. They all sound delicious.

Rebekah said...

http://palatablepastime.com/tag/henris-tas-tee-tasty/ Here's the link! :) And that is wonderful that you found something that really had a food memory and connection for you to make for today!

A Day in the Life on the Farm said...

I have never heard of this dressing but reading through the ingredients tells me just how delicious it is. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Sounds very flavorful!

Lisa | Authentic Suburban Gourmet said...

What a great dressing! A must try. Happy Holidays to you and your family!!

Debra Eliotseats said...

You are being pulled every which way, Kate. Glad this dressing recipe brought back so many memories. Hope you share the dip recipe soon, too. Happy holidays!

Kim - Liv Life said...

What a schedule you've been keeping!! And a good dressing recipe is always something to keep onhand. Love the ingredients!

Unknown said...

This dressing like Henri's Tastee goes great on top of goulash. Another tip for making deviled eggs is to add just a little bit of creamy peanut butter to the filling.

Anonymous said...

Henri's Tastee dressing is totally MAGNIFICENT. Our local grocery discontinued stocking it.Now that fact no longer matters.

Anonymous said...

My family loves Henri,s tastee dressing. I'm looking at the recipe, is 1/4 cup onion powder the correct amount?

Kate said...

I've not made it again since I posted it but based on the quantity of the other ingredients, I think it is. You might start with a tablespoon or less and taste as you add.

Heidi Jahnke said...

This has great flavor! I am wondering what to do to get the sugar smoothly incorporated. I used 1-1/2 cups of Mayonnaise and the dressing is pretty thick; after three days it still has a grainy texture from the sugar. Do I need more mayo or perhaps some other liquid?

Heidi Jahnke said...

This has great flavor! I am wondering what to do to get the sugar smoothly incorporated. I used 1-1/2 cups of Mayonnaise and the dressing is pretty thick; after three days it still has a grainy texture from the sugar. Do I need more mayo or perhaps some other liquid?

Kate said...

You've got me on that, Heidi. Mine didn't have a grainy texture at all. You might try a bit of water and see if that helps.

TraciB said...

I'm wondering about Marcie's dip recipe that uses the chipped beef and the Tastee dressing? Could you share that recipe as well? Thanks!

Kate said...

Hi TraciB - Now, I'm hungry for Marci's dip! here's the link on the blog: http://kateiscooking.blogspot.com/2013/01/grammy-and-grampy-were-on-road-again.html. BTW - there's also a recipe for La Brea Tar Pit chicken wings. They're fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate, I notice your recipe for Henri's Tas Tee calls for 1-2 cups of mayo. I came across the original recipe on Sue's blog and it only calls for 1 cup of mayo. Just thought I'd mention it in case you had a typo. Here's a link to her page for the dressing. https://palatablepastime.com/2015/07/26/henris-tastee-dressing-clone-cole-slaw/#more-6584

Bigmamma said...

I miss TasTee!!!! This is too sweet to marinade chicken (which TasTee works great for). I love this recipe in chicken salad, potato salad, egg salad and deviled eggs.

Anonymous said...

Did you try using the 1/4 cup onion powder? That seems like a LOT.