Search This Blog

Saturday, June 7, 2014

Pork Tenderloin and Roasted Red Bell Pepper Sandwiches

Folks tend to either love or hate Guy Fieri.  I'm in the love camp. The man can cook.  And, he LOVES flavor.  Lots of big, bold flavors.  Maybe a bit more heat than I like but that's easily resolved.  I've been reading his new cookbook, Guy on Fire.  Loads of great recipes and for me, great ideas.  So, we had leftover pork tenderloin from the pork tenderloin we made last week.  I found a recipe I thought would easily adapt to the ingredients I had on hand. 

Those of you who believe in making a recipe the first time the way it's written will be disappointed to know that Guy's recipe was merely the idea.  I didn't bread and fry the pork since I was using leftover pork tenderloin.  I used hearty rye bread instead of baguette since that's what I had on hand.  The mayonnaise was not homemade bacon mayo made with 2/3 c of bacon fat but instead was Hellman's Light with olive salad and garlic.  And, instead of arugula inside the sandwich, I used only one piece of bread per sandwich and topped the sandwiches with dressed greens.  So, I'm not really sure I should be giving credit to Guy for this one, eh?  Whatever you think, We loved these sandwiches. 

Then, there was dessert.  Last week I made a new dessert - gooey bananas.  Tonight, I kicked it up a notch - or three.  The original recipe called for bananas, chocolate, toffee bits and mini marshmallows.  We had a few strawberries left from the batch we picked in our garden.  And, a handful of chopped pecans.  Betcha they'd be good with the bananas.  Yup, they were.


Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches

Ingredients:

Hearty rye bread
Mayonnaise
Green olives with pimentos, finely minced
Garlic, a good sprinkle of garlic powder
Sliced pork tenderloin
Roasted red bell pepper, sliced
Bacon, not too crisp
Provolone cheese, thinly sliced
Salad greens
Sherry vinegar
Sugar, just a pinch
Extra virgin olive oil

Directions:

First, here's a look at how the ingredients were prepped:

Mix the mayonnaise with the chopped green olives and the garlic.
 Toast the bread lightly.
 Slice the pork tenderloin.  Yes, we like ours pretty pink!
 Fry and drain the bacon.  I always sprinkle mine with garlic powder and freshly ground black pepper as it's frying.

Slice the roasted red peppers and the provolone.


Now, let's look at how the sandwiches were put together:

 Schmear the olive mayonnaise on the toasted bread.
 Top with sliced pork tenderloin.
 Then, the sliced roasted red bell peppers

 And the bacon.
 Last, by the provolone.

Broil until the cheese has melted.
Toss the salad greens with a bit of sherry vinegar, a pinch of sugar and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. 

Thanks to Guy on Fire for the basic idea!


No comments: