Search This Blog

Friday, April 5, 2013

Crab Pasta with Tomato Vino Blanco Sauce



Clean up the kitchen for four.  That's what my Mom always called it when she created a meal from leftovers.  She was a total whiz at making something totally new and different from disparate ingredients.  I'd like to think I followed Mom's example with this dish.

Our plan was to be out for dinner.  Work, however, interfered.  When we got home I opened the fridge to see what we had.  Half a pound of crabmeat (claw meat,) 3/4 of a jar of peppadew peppers, most of a 4 oz can of tomato paste (less 2T that went into another dish,) 3/4 of a single serving bottle of white wine (what I use for cooking,) a box of mushrooms and a bunch of asparagus.  Connie and I brainstormed.  Steak oscar?  A steak would be pretty easy to thaw.  Crabcakes benedict with peppadews instead of green pepper?  We'd have to use toast instead of English muffins.  What about pasta?  I sat down and thought about the flavors.  I could do crab, mushroom and asparagus pasta in a white wine sauce?  Or I could make a tomato white wine sauce and serve the veggies on the side.  Finally, I settled on the latter choice. 

The asparagus got roasted and tossed in with the mushrooms we love so much.  That was a great choice.  Next time I buy brussels sprouts I'm going to try them the same way!

So, what did we think?  The pasta was fabulous!!!  Part of the leftovers were devoured for lunch the next day.  And, the rest will be lunch for yet another day.

Crab Pasta with Tomato Vino Blanco Sauce

Ingredients:

2 T butter
4 oz tomato paste
1 c dry white wine
1 c half and half
1 jar peppadew peppers, chopped
2 t Italian seasoning or herbs of your choice
1/2 lb crabmeat
1/2 c grated grana padano cheese
1/2 lb pasta

Directions:

In a large saucepan, melt the butter.  Stir in the tomato paste and allow it to cook for a few minutes. 



Add the wine and stir it in. 



Gradually pour in the half and half, stirring constantly.  Add the peppadew peppers, herbs and crabmeat and heat through. 



Just before serving, stir in the grated cheese.  Serve over farfalle or penne or rigatoni.

2 comments:

Debra Eliotseats said...

I applaud you for recording this recipe for posterity! It is a keeper. How often do I just stand at the fridge and start throwing things together without writing down a recipe? Often enough for The Hubs to say, "Well, this was good. Guess we will never have it again." !!!!!! :)

Lisa said...

What a lovely dish!