Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Kate's Crackers



No, not mine.  My friend, Kate from Diethood.  Rosemary and garlic.  It doesn't get much better than that.  I've always wanted to try making my own crackers.  Now, I had a recipe that totally captivated me AND cheese that was going to be perfect with them.  Connie and I bought some garlic herb brie at Whole Foods.  We'd gone there on a hunt for Kimberley Chardonnay vinegar.  It said on their website that that's where I could find it.  Wrong.  But, we did wander the store and tried all the goodies set out for tasting.  Come to think of it, that was pretty much breakfast that Saturday!  

The garlic herb brie was fantastic.  Connie was anxious to dig into it.  I told him no, it was reserved for appetizers when his brother was here.  Can you say really sad face?  I know, I'm such a mean one.  But, he waited patiently.  Saturday evening arrived and it was time for the brie.  And, time to make crackers.

What did we think?  Not a bad job for my first foray.  The flavor was fantastic.  I should've made them a tiny bit thinner.  As it was they had to bake for almost double the time to lose their doughy taste.  The edge ones were the best.  This is a recipe I'm going to master because once the family tastes it, they'll want some at every family party. 

Kate has a bunch of wonderful recipes at Diethood.  I hope you'll take a couple of minutes and head over to her blog:  Diethood

Kate's Rosemary Garlic Crackers

Ingredients:

2 c all purpose flour
1 t baking powder
4 t dried, crushed rosemary
1 t sea salt
1/3 c olive oil
2/3 warm water
garlic powder

Directions:

Spray two baking sheets with non-stick spray and preheat your oven to 400. 



Mix all of the dry ingredients in a bowl. 



Pour the water into a measuring cup.  Add the oil. 



Pour that mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until your dough is smooth.  Divide into two dough balls. 



Using your fingertips, squish the dough into two squares.  You want the dough to be really thin! 



Sprinkle the crackers with garlic powder.  Cut them into 60-72 squares with a pizza cutter.  Bake for 12-14 minutes.  When they're golden. they're done.  Remove the pans from the oven and allow the crackers to cool on the pans for 10 minutes.

5 comments:

Chris's Gourmet Fashion said...

Don't you just love Whole Foods. Your crackers look really tasty and crispy - it's funny crackers are one thing I never thought to make myself until recently ... will have to give this try some time soon.

The Country Cook said...

I bet these were really good with the garlic brie. That sounds like good stuff. Of course, I really love brie! I have never tried to make my own crackers. The only thing I've come close to making like that is cheese straws. And although the concept isn't hard, I think it was one of those things that took me a bit to master before I would call it a success. Maybe I need to try crackers...

Kate@Diethood said...

I am so glad you loved these crackers!! Aren't they the easiest and tastiest things ever? :) I love the garlic brie...yummo!

Kate@Diethood said...

I hit enter too soon!!
The only thing that sucks is that you have to work hard at pressing that dough onto the baking sheet to get it really thin. I used a rolling pin a while back and that worked a bit better.

Thank you so much for the shout-out!! xoxo

Cassie | Bake Your Day said...

I bookmarked these when I saw them on Diethood too, great post!