Search This Blog

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Risotto

Both of us love risotto.  It's a perfect meal after a hectic day.  You've got to stand there and stir.  You can't hurry it.  Kind of forces you to relax.  I've gotten braver with risotto as I 've cooked it more.  Started with just mushrooms and romano cheese.  Then, we discovered how wonderful white truffle oil is in that mix.  So, that became my new go-to dish.  One of the primary ingredients is chicken broth.  I'm a big fan of making my own.  I throw a chicken in a pot with some celery, carrots, onions, black peppercorns and whatever herbs I feel like.  Once the chicken is cooked, I cook down the broth.  Then, I refrigerate it over night and skim the fat off it the next morning.  I've always got several pints of homemade broth in the freezer ready for making risotto.  Last night our friends Donna and Phil drove down from Lafayette for dinner.  It was kind of a last minute deal and I knew I'd not escape the office at a reasonable time, so risotto it was. 

Shrimp, Spinach and Feta Risotto

1 T olive oil
1 T butter
1/2 white onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 shallot, finely diced ( Penzey's freeze dried)
1 c Arborio rice
1/4 c white wine
4-5 c chicken broth (preferably homemade), simmer in a saucepan
2 t white truffle oil (optional)
1/2 pound shrimp (25-30/pound size)
2 c fresh spinach
1/2 c crumbled feta (plus more for serving)

Melt the butter.  Add the olive oil, onion, garlic and shallot.  Stir until softened.  Pour in the rice and stir until it's shiny.  Pour in the white wine and stir until it's absorbed.  Add the broth 1/2 c at a time.  Stir until each addition of the broth is absorbed.  When the rice has reached a creamy consistency and the broth is absorbed, stir in the shrimp, spinach and feta.  Serve immediately.  Pass more crumbled feta for topping.

No comments: