Sometimes the simplest recipes are indeed the best. There are plenty of recipes (boeuf bourguignon, for example) that require hours of preparation and layer upon layer of flavors. Then, there are others with a few ingredients and quick preparation that just can't be improved on. Pear, parmesan and arugula salad is one of those.
This month for Blogger C.L.U.E. Society, I was assigned Wendy's blog. A Day in the Life on a Farm. I love her intro: "Two retired cops searching for peace and quiet find chaos and happiness." Isn't that just the way life works? Wendy and her husband, Frank, may be technically retired but it sure looks to me like they spend a LOT of time working on this farm of theirs.
I've loved reading Wendy's blog since joining Blogger CLUE so was very excited to get her this month. Our assignment was originally to be apples. Turns out ONE apple is $6 in Japan. So, we expanded to pears also. Turns out some of our buddies didn't have either on their blog. So, we wound up with fall fruit. That meant I had a wealth of choices. Thank you, Wendy!
Even though we're not big dessert eaters, I started with the desserts. Just for research, you know. LOL. Pumpkin spice bundt cake. Pumpkin custard pie. Caramel apple pretzels. They all sounded SO good. But, in the end I kept going back to the salad I'd found. I was feeling guilty because it was so easy. Then, I remembered the pickle dip. Made for another group a few years ago. Three ingredients and it's always the hit of the party. Then, there's the fact that Connie LOVES pears. Most fruit he grumbles about. Not pears. And, it's the perfect time of year to have them. Ok, salad it was.
We couldn't find any arugula anywhere so our trusty baby greens from Sam's had to stand in. I missed the bit of pepperiness that the arugula would've provided. But, I'll confess that had I not known the baby greens were a substitution, I'd have been 100% happy with my salad. This was so easy to put together. The flavors were fabulous. And, the pears were the stars. Not buried under dressing or cheese or something else. They were the stars. This is a perfect fall salad.
Here's where you can go meet Wendy and see this fabulous salad: Arugula, Pear and Parmesan Salad.
Now, for some other fall fruit fun here are the links to my friends in Blogger C.L.U.E.:
- Apple Banana Bread by Lora from Cake Duchess
- Apple Brie Panini by Rebekah from Making Miracles
- Apple Butter by Stacy from Food Lust People Love
- Apple Oatmeal Muffins by Aly from Cooking in Stilettos
- Apple Pear Compote by Alice from A Mama, Baby and Shar-Pei in the Kitchen
- Apple Pie with Oat Streusel by Christiane from Taking on Magazines
- Applesauce Pancakes by Anna from annaDishes
- Arugula, Pear and Parmesan Salad by Kate from Kate's Kitchen
- Butternut Squash Soup with Apple by Lea Ann from Cooking on the Ranch
- Chaussons aux Pommes by Liz from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cinnamon Apple Oatmeal by Kim from Liv Life
- Creamy Tomato Soup by Kelli from Kelli's Kitchen
- Fresh Peach Buckle by Sue from A Palatable Pastime
- Fried Apple Hand Pies by Heather from girlichef
- Greek Yogurt Apple Loaf by Lauren from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Peach Streusel Bread by Azmina from Lawyer Loves Lunch
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Pie by Wendy from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pumpkin Molasses Tea Bread by Lisa from Authentic Suburban Gourmet
- Sweet Potato Apple Soup with Chipotle by Kathy from A Spoonful of Thyme
- Vegan Spiced Apple Crumb Muffins by Debra from Eliot's Eats